Adult hen injured by fox - Wound on upper back

AllChookUp

Will Shut Up for Chocolate
11 Years
May 7, 2008
Frozen Lake, MN
Long story short: Let my chickens out for the first time in a long time yesterday (Thu, Jul 15). Five minutes out, there was a fox attack. Killed one hen, injured another.

The injured adult hen is a 2-year-old Buff Orpington. The injury is a flesh tear across the upper back, running just under the left wing.. Looks clean, I have put Neosporin on it twice since yesterday afternoon. She SEEMS to be doing OK, moving gingerly and slowly around the floor of the coop. Seems to want to point her head toward the wall. Complains just a little when I rub the Neosporin on her, which makes sense.

I plan to watch her closely, ensuring she eats and drinks (at some point). I changed out their water, adding electrolytes for the shock and recovery.

Anything else I need to watch out for?

just went thru this with an EE, real bad tear across back, sutured ends but left mid open for any drainage and so as not to form abcess. if it is really just a skin tear i would suggest blu kote spray.. this worked very well for my hen as well..sounds like you are doing ok..blu kote just keeps the area free from fungal/bacterial infection..good luck

hey there ACU, hadn't seen you on here in so long thought you'd fallen off the 'net... I'm sorry to hear about your hens. Sounds like you're doing what your hen needs. She may be pretty sore and just not feeling well due to the shock & trauma, and that may be why she tends to turn her head to the wall. (after thinking about that, I realized I do the same thing when I'm sick!) I hope she fully recovers, and I hope that darn fox finds its food source somewhere far away from your chooks.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom