Solved Advance notice would have been nice!

There's also this one:
https://wordcounter.net/

That one you can type in and as you type it give you both word and character counts!

THAT'S SO COOL I CAN'T EVEN BELIEVE IT! I created a desk top shortcut to the link you sent me so I can use it all the time AND when the #'s is just right, copy and paste it into whatever space it belongs!!! :clap

Okay, so I was talking to DH about this and he said that making the post and article limits public knowledge might not be a good thing in that it could be used in an evil way by spammers, so I deleted all references to limits. :oops: If any of you want to know what they are, just send me a convo and I will tell you. :)

I don't know what a "convo" is but I'd love to know the letter limits for REPLY or COMMENTS on here. I've posted tons of stuff and that was the 1st time that happened...thanks! :)

Great discussion everyone, thanks for the feedback!

I've significantly increased the # of characters for article comments, so this shouldn't be a problem.

As much as I LOVE this site, I really think it would be a lot better if you would tell those of us who want to post "comments" on certain subjects here, that we have a WORD LIMITATION before we spend 20 mins putting something together only to find out when we hit "post" that it is too long.
Linda, I'm VERY sorry this happened to you (or anybody else). As this happens, please report it and we'll look into raising the limits where appropriate.

I didn't know there's a word limit to posts. Can the moderators please confirm and explain this?
There are some limits, but we have them in a way that they should be plenty for 99.99% of use cases. If people run into limits, please let us know where and the limit size the system is reporting.

It was under the articles appearing about "keeping chicken runs dry"
This is helpful! So, it was a comment to an article?

And I agree, a little note stating 250 characters max or whatever the # is would be nice.
The forum software doesn't have this by default, and if after we adjust the limits there is still a problem, we'll look into possibly adding this.

If anybody runs into this problem again, please copy your reply and save it to your computer (like in a text document) and then let me know where it was you hit the limit. I'll look into increasing it and then you can post your stuff :)

On a related topic: If you're ever planning to write anything long, I suggest writing it on your device locally and copying it over. That way if there is a disconnect / disruption in service between your computer and BYC's servers, you'll still have the local copy of what you were writing.

Great discussion everyone, thanks for the feedback!

I've significantly increased the # of characters for article comments, so this shouldn't be a problem.

Linda, I'm VERY sorry this happened to you (or anybody else). As this happens, please report it and we'll look into raising the limits where appropriate.

There are some limits, but we have them in a way that they should be plenty for 99.99% of use cases. If people run into limits, please let us know where and the limit size the system is reporting.

This is helpful! So, it was a comment to an article?

The forum software doesn't have this by default, and if after we adjust the limits there is still a problem, we'll look into possibly adding this.

If anybody runs into this problem again, please copy your reply and save it to your computer (like in a text document) and then let me know where it was you hit the limit. I'll look into increasing it and then you can post your stuff :)

On a related topic: If you're ever planning to write anything long, I suggest writing it on your device locally and copying it over. That way if there is a disconnect / disruption in service between your computer and BYC's servers, you'll still have the local copy of what you were writing.

NOT TO WORRY! Nobody died...lol! Just didn't see it coming that's all! I'll start a new thread where I can keep it below 2,000 words AND post pics to illustrate what I'm talking about! I still think BYC is an eggcelent site and I couldn't have made it this far without it! :love

Back
Top Bottom