Advice? 40 hours since Embden goose external pip!

Kalyha

In the Brooder
Feb 11, 2023
Hello all. I have read every post I could find so far (including the sticky post on hatching) and would like more advice.
I have 2 goose eggs in a Brinsea 56 EX. Conditions are good. Haven't opened since candling to see internal pips and created artificial external pip at lockdown 2 days ago.
Within 4 hours of creating the artificial external pip the one egg externally pipped the shell but I don't believe it has made it through the outer shell membrane. There is quite a bit of shell lifted but only a very tiny little triangle flake where the shell is missing and that spot appears to be a light yellow color. This was 40 hours ago and there has been no visible change since. That egg is at day 28 today.
Sorry for the poor photo. It is the best I can manage.
Screenshot_20230313_074048_Gallery.jpg

It is possible it cracked the shell when internally pipping. The location of pip shows baby is in perfect hatching position. If it is only day 28, chances are good it will start to show some activity today. I'd leave it alone to make sure humidity stays high.

It is possible it cracked the shell when internally pipping. The location of pip shows baby is in perfect hatching position. If it is only day 28, chances are good it will start to show some activity today. I'd leave it alone to make sure humidity stays high internally pipped when I made

It is possible it cracked the shell when internally pipping. The location of pip shows baby is in perfect hatching position. If it is only day 28, chances are good it will start to show some activity today. I'd leave it alone to make sure humidity stays high.
I don't believe so as it had already internally pipped when I made the artificial external pip 4 hours prior.
I will leave it as you suggest and hope for more activity today. I just find it concerning that there has been no visible change in over 40 hours!

Last edited:
I'm not sure why you would external pip at day 26. It is possible that you dropped humidity too much and is causing shrink wrap. But if you intervene before day 30, the sack is not absorbed and will not survive if removed from shell too soon. As a beginner hatcher, I made a lot of mistakes trying to assist, resulting in a lot of dead babies. One I successfully assisted, only to find he had a severe leg deformity. I spent thousands over three years keeping him alive and mobile, because we had imprinted on each other in the hatching process, before he passed of a pulmonary embolism. Over the years I have learned to not create external pips, nor do I interfere before day 30 or before all other eggs have hatched.

I'm not sure why you would external pip at day 26. It is possible that you dropped humidity too much and is causing shrink wrap. But if you intervene before day 30, the sack is not absorbed and will not survive if removed from shell too soon. As a beginner hatcher, I made a lot of mistakes trying to assist, resulting in a lot of dead babies. One I successfully assisted, only to find he had a severe leg deformity. I spent thousands over three years keeping him alive and mobile, because we had imprinted on each other in the hatching process, before he passed of a pulmonary embolism. Over the years I have learned to not create external pips, nor do I interfere before day 30 or before all other eggs have hatched.
I’m so sorry you lost such a dear feathered friend.

Sorry to hear of yours having passed.
After all my research I believed that it was beneficial to provide one before lockdown (since there was an excellent internal pip on day 26) so that there would be less chance of needing to open the incubator after lockdown.
I also did so very quickly while the egg was wrapped in a hot wet washcloth. The humidity never plummeted more than 5 percent during the process. I also finely misted with hot water when I placed the eggs back in the incubator to start lockdown.
Good news is that the little one has made a proper external pip now! :clap
It is responding to voices and especially to recordings of other goslings.

Kalyha, that is excellent news!! Can't wait to see the gosling once he hatches.

And thanks for the kind words. It's been years since he passed in 2015, but Spirit (that was his name) was a great gander and teacher.

Back
Top Bottom