Advice appreciated

Bobbilou

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 20, 2013
We are awaiting our chicken coop- getting excited! I have been reading everything I can get my hands on as I am so new to this- the chickens won't come until Spring, ,though. I think it might be a bit much trying to get into this with winter coming. I would appreciate any advice for newbies you may have- I even read Chickens for Dummies! Will probably have 6-8 hens. My husband is great at getting it right- I know we can do it. What, if anything, would you change as you started out?

Greetings from Texas! If you've done your homework and read Chickens for Dummies, you're on the right track. And you know about this site as a resource. When you get your chicks, or you're about to get your chicks, I'm sure you'll have specific questions.

welcome-byc.gif
I recommend The Learning Center as the best lace to start

Welcome! Its great that you are doing your research ahead of time! If I would have changed anything I would have put a tray or platform under my roosting beams to catch the dropping to make it MUCH easier to clean. Also I would have not let them free range prior to building our pen. (they were VERY grouchy being locked up at first) Oh and feeding them snacks on the deck because it was so cute seeing them peering inside the slider doors wouldn't have happened. It was poop galore, as well as a hard habit to break! :)

Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! Like everybody else said, The BYC Learning Center is a great place to start. And, number one, believe in chicken math, you will want more.

Back
Top Bottom