Advice for a First Timer?! -Mallard Ducklings

i have 2 pekin ducks and 2 mallard and the pekins can not fly at all (too fat) and from what i understand is that since they have been raised together the mallards will not leave without the pekins because they are basically siblings.

Awww... they're like a little family- adorable!
hugs.gif

it is ILLEGAL to release pet ducks into the wild not only is it illegal it is cruel, they will not attempt to migrate its been bred out of them through years of domestication. they can fly though and will need to have feathers clipped.
I'm certainly not going to abandon my ducks when the fall rolls around. In fact, I would be more than happy if they stayed right here with me.

Being a 1st time duck owner with no previous experience, I wanted to make sure I was doing things right, that's why I'm looking for advice online & also from the people at the feed store where my neighbor originally purchased the ducks. I was told by 3 separate workers at the feed store that my Mallards would probably fly south for the winter. One of the workers said that she raises baby Mallards every summer, lets them onto her pond once they have their feathers, & they fly south in the winter. I was just taking their word for it!

I'm not trying to make you feel bad or dumb I was just stating that from what I understood mallards wouldn't fly south

I'm not trying to make you feel bad or dumb I was just stating that from what I understood mallards wouldn't fly south
No worries, I'm glad to get all the advice I can. I'm learning as I go & I really just want to do what is best for the ducks. So far it's been fun with a side of wet & messy!

Back
Top Bottom