Advice for golden pheasant care?

Jerank

Chirping
Mar 12, 2020
Hi, so something strange happened to my family a week ago. Some friends of ours randomly found a golden pheasant wandering out on the road they use for their daily commute. They initially shoo'd him off and went to work, but he was back on the road when they returned. Acted relatively tame, not attempting to fly away or panic when approached. In the end they decided to catch him up and bring him to us, since they can't keep birds themselves.

We made sure to check around the area, and nobody reported any missing golden pheasants. We live in the EU, and hunters regularly release regular game pheasants into the wild, but we've never seen a golden pheasant before. He's also a lot tamer than a game bird, though still a bit skittish.

Currently we have him in one of our spare chicken runs, which is only about 6x6 large, but hope to assemble a larger 20x20 run for him over summer. One worry I have though is that he spends a lot of his time running up and down the wire. Sometimes he's fairly calm, other times he spends thirty minutes at a time just running back and forth against the wire. Is it simply that he doesn't have enough room at the moment, or is there anything we can do to make him feel more relaxed and at home?

We also keep Bobwhite quail in a substantially larger run, and were wondering if they could possibly be mixed together. If anyone has done this in the past, I'd love to know about their experiences. We also have Guinea fowl and chickens, and are feeding him game bird food and meal-worms.

Back
Top Bottom