New here and I need some flock management advice, please :)

Ann-without-an-e

In the Brooder
Nov 28, 2023
We have 9 older hens (6 Isa Browns and 3 Barred Rocks). The older flock's rooster died about 6 months ago.
In August we got 13 chicks that were supposed to be all females. We didn't really want another rooster (the first one was an accident). Somehow we managed to get 4 roosters in this new batch. One is being a bit of a jerk (pulling feathers out constantly and eating them?) and the other three are super sweet so far. The new birds are only 15 weeks. If it matters, this new set has Bielefelders, Cream Legbars, Prairie Bluebell Eggers, and Barred rocks. We have a large coop and run with a separation for new birds, sick birds, etc. (ETA: We are planning to build a pasture in the next few months, we can't free range because of predators.) The younger ones have been in the same space since they moved outdoors at 6 weeks, but separated. We've been trying to integrate them into the same space for a week. We started by switching their places (old hens into the smaller space), so the younger birds could explore the larger section without stress. We started with just 30 monitored minutes a day combined. Now we're trying it from morning until later afternoon (to give our small birds a break from the stress). These younger birds are just super shy and not aggressive enough to stand up for themselves. My older birds kept them pushed to one corner of the run for the first two days and then my younger birds took to just hiding in the coop all day long. That is why I've been separating them out again in the afternoon, to give them a break to eat and drink water freely without stress.

What else can I do to help this situation? I don't want my younger birds to be stressed all the time.

I also feel like 4 roosters will be too many? At what age should we remove some from the flock? Our last rooster was awful. I just won't tolerate that again. The first time one of these roosters runs at me and tries to attack me, he's gone. I can't do that again. Right now they are all super sweet with people and only one is a bit peckish with the girls. Not the older hens, they won't have any of that (haha).

Thanks for any thoughts on this dynamic.

Last edited:
:welcome Integration takes time. Continue on as you have been. As the young birds mature they will gradually join the flock. I would remove the cockerel that is feather pecking/plucking. This can become a bad habit that the rest of the flock starts to imitate. As the other cockerels mature make your choice on behavior towards you and the flock.

If you have Bielefelder cockerel in the group, there generally human friendly. The other cockerels can go.

Good roosters start with inherited genetic traits specified to every breed.

In about 3 months is a good time to cull the unwanted cockerels. It will provide some meat for the table.

Since you have older hens, the cockerel should live with them. And the rest stay separated till there close in size to your older hens. Then you can merge them with less complications.

If you have Bielefelder cockerel in the group, there generally human friendly.

I'm so in love with the Bielefelders and yes, one is a cockerel. The cockerel in question is a Prairie Bluebell Egger. None of the roosters are people aggressive at all, the other three are great with the pullets, only the Prairie Bluebell Egger cockerel is being mean.

If I were starting from scratch I think I would get all Bielefelders and Cream Legbars. Such absolute sweethearts. Even the cockerel is a big teddy bear.

I'm no expert - first time chicken keeper with a flock of 9 (8 hens and 1 accidental rooster as well though so far he's pretty friendly and follows me around). I swear I literally just read something in one of my books about feather eating and it may be an attempt to get more protein or other nutrients. Don't take my word for it but was researching flock integration and other assorted chicken things today as we contemplate getting six chicks this spring to add to our existing flock. Because why not get more chicks and then three more ducklings too?? :p

Welcome!
I would eliminate your feather picking cockerel now, review your bird's diet, and see how the other three cockerels behave.
There's no reason to keep a bird who's behaving badly, especially a cockerel, when you have two or probably three too many already. Picking the 'keeper' takes time, and observation, and having a cage or place to immediately remove a bad actor.
Remove any cockerel that you just don't like, for any reason. Remove any who have physical defects, most especially any that are inherited. Remove any who behave badly, and be prepared to have none left out of the four you started with this last year.
There's always spring...
Mary

Back
Top Bottom