Advice needed about introducing new flock

Apr 25, 2023
I have two pullets, EE, 16 weeks. I have 2 SLW and 2 BO that are 11 weeks. They have been in a cage in the run and in the coop separated for about 4 weeks. I couldn't let them out, because I had three cockerels (one of them bit the 11 week old when she stuck her head out to get scratch and put a big gash in her head (she is fine). Also, the size difference at the time was pretty drastic. I rehomed my cockerels yesterday morning (big farm that loves animals). I let the 11 week old out for the time yesterday. My two 16 week EE pullets keep bulling the four 11 week ones. No drawing blood (so far) but corning them by the door and running after them. I stayed in the run for most of the time to make sure no real harm was done. I put the girls into the coop together last night and that seemed to go well, but this morning in the run they started out good, but they staid to their groups and then it all started again. I put my two 16 week olds in the cage to give the others 4 a break. There is still a size difference, but not much. I let the little pecks to show who is boss slide, but intervein when it gets to straight up bulling. I have a camera in the run, so I can monitor them. Am I intervening too much and making the process longer? My BO (the one that got the gash) gets supper freaked out when the girls chase them. HELP!

I have two pullets, EE, 16 weeks. I have 2 SLW and 2 BO that are 11 weeks. They have been in a cage in the run and in the coop separated for about 4 weeks. I couldn't let them out, because I had three cockerels (one of them bit the 11 week old when she stuck her head out to get scratch and put a big gash in her head (she is fine). Also, the size difference at the time was pretty drastic. I rehomed my cockerels yesterday morning (big farm that loves animals). I let the 11 week old out for the time yesterday. My two 16 week EE pullets keep bulling the four 11 week ones. No drawing blood (so far) but corning them by the door and running after them. I stayed in the run for most of the time to make sure no real harm was done. I put the girls into the coop together last night and that seemed to go well, but this morning in the run they started out good, but they staid to their groups and then it all started again. I put my two 16 week olds in the cage to give the others 4 a break. There is still a size difference, but not much. I let the little pecks to show who is boss slide, but intervein when it gets to straight up bulling. I have a camera in the run, so I can monitor them. Am I intervening too much and making the process longer? My BO (the one that got the gash) gets supper freaked out when the girls chase them. HELP!
Can you post a pic of your run?

The bullying will happen for a while, but you’ll see it die down eventually. You need to have more than one feeding and watering station so everyone gets a chance to eat and drink. Put some stuff in the run to break line of sight. Old chairs, plant pots, tables, old pieces of wood you can prop up, etc. Make sure there are no dead ends, ie lean a piece of wood against a corner so there’s no way the birds can get cornered and beat up. Perches help too, any old logs or good sized tree limbs.

Can you post a pic of your run?

The bullying will happen for a while, but you’ll see it die down eventually. You need to have more than one feeding and watering station so everyone gets a chance to eat and drink. Put some stuff in the run to break line of sight. Old chairs, plant pots, tables, old pieces of wood you can prop up, etc. Make sure there are no dead ends, ie lean a piece of wood against a corner so there’s no way the birds can get cornered and beat up. Perches help too, any old logs or good sized tree limb
The run is 10 x 14, we have the coop inside, but it is 3 feet off the ground. I have a ladder perch with three rungs on it and a corner perch, wood tree limb under the coop near the fan. We have a water bason with stepping rock in it, but the chick cage takes up the corner of the run 4 x 3 foot, stands about 3 1/2 foot high. My older birds tend to roost on top and a corner perch and folding chair. I have a 5 gallon water bucket with 6 station, 5 gallon feeder with 3 station and the babies feeder and water inside the cage plus we left the rent a coop water station (1 gallon). The corner them near the door, we have the coop door that swings out and a half door that swings in. I can't put anything in the that corner, or the door will not open. I do have a folding chair there they run behind. Inside the cage they have a wood perch and logs stacked up as well.

Leave the older girls in the cage for 3-4 days. The thing is, with the littles in the cage - that was their territory. And the chicken run was the big girls territory. And they don't like change.

By locking up the big girls, and letting the littles out, I swear the big girls get used to seeing the littles in the territory and the sky does not fall. This lets the littles be in the big girls territory and explore it, gaining territorial rights. And they can explore it without being chased for their lives. This gives them confidence.

The thing is, that being in a strange place, a place where you are pretty sure you are not suppose to be, and have never been in before is intimidating. Then something bigger and meaner agrees and wants you out of there - that makes chicks RUN, and sometimes I think it is the running, screeching that just excites everyone and the chase is on!

After 3 days - let ONE of the big girls out with the littles. Wait for a day. I am expecting that by then, there will be very little chaos. The next day let the other big girl out.

They will probably hang in their own groups, until they all start laying. Then they will become one flock.

Mrs K

Thank you both for great advice. I knew I could count on this group. I just checked the camera to see if the little ones are exploring.....Nope, all four are laying against the cage near the big girls. Seriously, I couldn't make this stuff up. :pop I'm sure they will given enough time. Thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom