Aggressive Cockerel?

HollyParks

Chirping
Sep 30, 2023
I have two chicks that are starting to free range during the day with the rest of the flock. They are still inside in the brooder at night and I’m just now starting to let them get to know the flock. My flock consists of 11 laying hens, three pullets (almost laying age), and three pullet chicks (about 9 weeks old), and one rooster. These two chicks are only 7 weeks old, but the little cockerel is already challenging hens. He will run up, fluff his feathers and jump at them. Sometimes the other hens try this on him first. Should I be worried about him being aggressive? My other rooster did not behave this way, but then again he is the same age as his flock.
I have two toddlers and a baby and I can’t risk their safety.

And they will attack kids first, in what seems out of the blue. Do your children share a play area with the chickens? If so I would not risk it. Normal childish behavior of running, jumping, climbing and making noise is upsetting to a rooster.

I do not recommend keeping a rooster unless the kids are 6 years old or so. They can take an attack in the face. Roosters have ruined the whole chicken experience for a lot of kids.

Mrs K

Agree 100% children and infant safety and welfare come first. It just takes one bad encounter to completely spoil their experience. That said, the benefit of raising your own little cockerel amongst hens and an older rooster is that he theoretically will learn from them. Of course...on top of the safety concerns, having two cockerels for that ratio may tip the balance and long-term you'd have to get rid of one, so might as well consider it now... just my two cents

I have been having an issue with my little bantam cochin frizzle. He has always been more feisty than the others, even since he was a week or two old. Always challenging bigger birds. Now that he's 4.5 months old, he tries mating with my bigger hens, but they will just chase him off. Unfortunately, one of my hens is visually impaired and he takes advantage of that. He grabs her neck and won't let go as she tries to run away from him. He's very aggressive toward her. Honestly, he's too little and slightly crippled, so I don't think he actually stand a chance of mating with any of them, but that aggression towards my one hen is concerning.

Back
Top Bottom