Cockerel following Rooster around

Jikaaa

Chirping
Mar 11, 2022
We have a wide farm where we keep non-heritage chickens free-range, they've already established their teams and hierarchies as far as I've observed.

I released two imperfect Silkie cockerels into the farm, one of them became a lone chicken eating with the waterfowl. The other one found a flock to be with, but the flock already had a top roo, a very big 2-year old Frizzled roo

The cockerel doesn't seem to be trying to mount the hens in the flock, the Rooster also isn't attacking him and the cockerel also doesn't go agro on him. What's weird is that wherever the Rooster goes the cockerel follows. Not in a stalking type of way, it's almost like the way a hen follows her roo except there's a distance. You can easily mistaken the cockerel for a pullet because he is small and really fluffy in comparison to the Roo because he's a silkie, but the behavior makes it more suspicious.

Is he possibly a she? Is he possibly gay? or is it just a hierarchal thing where the lower roo follows around the top roo?

Also this is probably irrelevant but the cockerel's batch also has a male looking female, she's really large in comparison to her sisters, she has larger-than-hen-average wattles and short saddle feathers, a long tail, and has the head fluff of a silkie roo, but it's a she (a fiesty one). I ruled out that it's a She because she shows 0 aggression towards the Top Roo in our house, she doesn't try to mount her sisters (which her brothers, at an early age l, was already doing lol), and absolutely no crowing at all unlike her noisy brothers. Could my cockerel possibly be a she?

Likely, he recognized the rooster's dominant role early on and now he is learning behavior from his elder. I don't think it is that unusual, especially when the cockerel realizes it is outmatched.

Back
Top Bottom