Advice Needed: Lethargic, Head Pulled in, Tail Down, Runny Feces on Rear

Thanks for the reply. She does have some of the symptoms of Peritonitis, except for ever seeing any yolk colored droppings. I am also continuing to search online. Thanks for helping. :)

Thanks for the post. I checked around and unfortunately nowhere within driving distance has any feeding tubes. I'll have to order one online for the future. In the meantime I'm giving warm water, sugar and a tiny pinch of salt in a syringe (without needle). She's weak, but trying to struggle (a little) when I'm administering. I'm going to let her rest for 30 mins and administer again.

If you have a pet store that sells aquarium supplies a silicone aquarium airline cut to your needed length works in place of a catheter tube.

Thank you so very much, Free Spirit. Unfortunately I lost her. She died in my arms a few minutes ago. I really appreciate your support and help during this time; you helped me so much... I can't find the words. Thank you for helping and making me feel like I'm not alone.

I'm grieving and very upset. I want to make sure this doesn't happen to the rest of my flock. What should I do now? Is there any standard place for testing? If I can't get testing done, is burying her body away from the rest of the flock adequate?

As a precaution I plan to worm the entire flock. Any advice is welcome.

i haven't read any of the posts but this is all the signs of cocci...i'd get her started on corid asap! it can kill them so quickly!

Thank you so very much, Free Spirit. Unfortunately I lost her. She died in my arms a few minutes ago. I really appreciate your support and help during this time; you helped me so much... I can't find the words. Thank you for helping and making me feel like I'm not alone.

I'm grieving and very upset. I want to make sure this doesn't happen to the rest of my flock. What should I do now? Is there any standard place for testing? If I can't get testing done, is burying her body away from the rest of the flock adequate?

oh i am sorry :( i would treat the entire flock now! if she had cocci which it does sound like it, the others need to be treated

here is what my roo looked like when he had cocci....fluffed up, head tucked in tail down and very sleepy acting. not eating or drinking and very light to lift. plus very runny poop, foamy looking and a few days later blood in it. corid in their water helped soooo much!!!

I am very sorry for your loss
hugs.gif
.I wish I had more experience to have helped better. But I do know that it does help to have someone to talk to and was glad to be here to listen.

The safest way to dispose of a dead bird is to incinerate it if there is a possible contagion. If you choose to bury her then make sure it is deep and a large rock on top to prevent a predator from smelling her and digging her up.

If you want a necropsy to determine her cause of death so you can prevent or treat your remaining flock then...

You can contact your State veterinarians.

Here is a list that @casportpony provided on another forum. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/537648/need-info-on-how-where-to-send-for-necropsy post #10.

Here is the link from that post.
http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

Here is some additional information to help you for proper packaging.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/799747/how-to-send-a-bird-for-a-necropsy-pictures

Again, I am very sorry.

Thanks Deckgirls. That looks just like my girl. :( I will be treating the flock with corid in their water ASAP.

I'm learning as I go and thought this may be useful for any one else with my same problem. I called my state's poultry extension and they got me in touch with a local (about 40 mins drive - so local for me) county laboratory that can do a necropsy for $15 to determine the cause of death. I dropped off her body yesterday and expect to hear back either today or Monday. I was amazed at how low the cost was for a necropsy.

I'm hoping the rest of my chicks and guineas don't suffer like my little Light Foot did.

A big thank you to Free Spirit and Deckgirls for responding and helping. :)

Back
Top Bottom