advice on chicken roosts

You will want to place the roost above the nest boxes. I use a 2x3. If at first they don't use the roost, you might have to place them on the roost until they get the idea.

Mine are 2 x 4's on the flat side, they seem to really like that they can walk them to find their "spot".
Same here! The 2x4 gives the chickens good support for their feet,plus the benefit of keeping their toes where they are covered and warm when they are roosting. That sure helps prevent frozen toes on our feather-footed Brahma girls in wet/snowy weather. And believe me....those feather-footed Divas can sure get their feet soaking wet on a snowy day!

So what would be better a natural tree branch about 3 inches in dia or a 2 x 3?
I'd say that a 2X4 would be better than a 3" branch or a 2"X3" .It is sturdier and actually the wider the better for their foot coverage.Personally I think a 2x4 would be better than a branch.It would be flat and I feel that their feet would have a better chance to keep covered.Just my thought

I've got 2 x 4's flat supported by 2 x 4's on edge that extend out from the wall to move the roost away from the wall. Guess what? Half my chickens prefer to roost on the 1-1/2 inch edge of the supports instead of the actual roost. I think a lot of this debate is more for people than it is for chickens. I read all the suggestions last Spring, and went with wide flat, but a lot of my girls would roost on a natural branch, if given the choice. I'm going to swap my 2 x 4's for a nice thick branch section when the weather turns a little nicer and I feel like working outside.

you are so right...it is more for people than the birds. We use both and they seem to prefer the natural tree branches my dh put up. Just remember people...nothing is written in stone...do what works for you.
wink.png

you are so right...it is more for people than the birds.  We use both and they seem to prefer the natural tree branches my dh put up.  Just remember people...nothing is written in stone...do what works for you. ;)

Perfect response. Here is what I did and how I attached them so I can remove them.

It really doesn't matter to the chickens. I've put up boards to give them the option so I feel pretty confident in what I'm saying. You can use tree limbs or boards of various sizes. Whatever makes you feel good.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom