Advice on getting my silkies to hatch their own eggs...

KatiewithZena

Chirping
Sep 26, 2021
Victoria, Australia
Hello hello, I have 2 silkie hens and 1 silkie rooster. They're all 1 year old. They stopped laying over winter and 1 has just started laying again now (late winter in Australia). I have collected her last 3 eggs because she wasn't sitting on them going broody.
My question is should I just leave the eggs there untouched so that when there's enough eggs there she will go broody and sit on them?
I hope I haven't delayed the baby chick making process by stealing her fertilised eggs from her nest! I thought she wasn't ever going to sit on them! But just read something that maybe she is saving them up until there is a decent sized clutch to sit on!
If anyone knows about this I'd really appreciate some info.
Cheers!
PS. My rooster is such a darling boy, not only does he protect them from danger and find yummy things for them to eat, but he also shows them up to the nesting box in the coop, and shows them what to do, and he even made a nice little nest in the bedding for a hen today then stayed there in the coop with her for almost 2 hours until she laid her egg. Bless him and his gentle ways! ❤️🐔

Back
Top Bottom