Hatching question!

mygirlsandi

Chirping
May 18, 2023
My little silky has been sitting on eggs( not hers) for 21 days. I have been waiting for the miracle of birth from my little chicks. ( I feel like a grandma. lol) unfortunately, After she became broody I could not move her and her eggs because she started to panic so I was not able to keep her away from the other girls. They used her and her nesting box as the dumping ground for their eggs. I did mark them and check on her all the time. I went out this morning to find 2 eggs out of her nest and they are ice cold. not sure how long they were out of her warmth. I tucked them back under her. there were 3 eggs. It should be hatching today. is there a chance that the chick would survive being out in the cold while inside the eggs?

As long as the eggs are under the hen they should be fine
It was not under the hen. It was in the open about 8 inches away from her. The other girls are relentless and practically sit on top of her to lay their eggs, and of course all of a sudden that is the box they want.

It was not under the hen. It was in the open about 8 inches away from her. The other girls are relentless and practically sit on top of her to lay their eggs, and of course all of a sudden that is the box they want.
If it was cold it could of died, you could always candle her eggs and look for movement

Back
Top Bottom