Didn't really start to brood - are eggs ok?

Usually I and most folks wait until Day 7 but you could try checking them Day 5.

Find yourself a small, bright flashlight. In a dark place, put it up to the big end. You could look online for what a 5-day incubated chick egg looks like but there's not much to see except some veins starting and a little blob in the middle.

Chickens do get off their nests but usually not for several hours; however, since it was so early on, crossing fingers this didn't cause them to start then die.

The thing is if she wasn't ready to "sit" for three weeks on those eggs, she probably didn't have her heat turned up nor the feathers of her bottom side all plucked off. Thus, the temps of those eggs didn't go up as high as they needed to start (99.5 or so). When hens are serious, they should have a bare underside.

So you won't know for a few days but hopefully she stays on them now and isn't just parking there for a while. ☺️
Thank you for your comment!

She did the same thing yesterday and today!!!!! Sitting from a very early hour in the morning, and leaving about 2 hours before dark. Whats going on????? Its really annoying. I doubt it if the eggs are worth anything! :(

Thank you for your comment!

She did the same thing yesterday and today!!!!! Sitting from a very early hour in the morning, and leaving about 2 hours before dark. Whats going on????? Its really annoying. I doubt it if the eggs are worth anything! :(
Well, again, I'm not sure whether she's officially sitting on those or just parking there.

I have to go pull eggs underneath broody chickens every day. I have silkies so there's always one or two broodies in there. Now they could actually hatch eggs if I left them. If a hen lays in a different nest after I've taken all the eggs, they sometimes move over and go sit on that one. That is a serious broody hen.
Yours, I don't think so. But still it doesn't mean she ruined the eggs. She might be protecting them too, waiting for a few more.

Do you have any extras you could mark with an X and put in there just to see what she does? I'd try that for a day and see what happens.

Well, again, I'm not sure whether she's officially sitting on those or just parking there.

I have to go pull eggs underneath broody chickens every day. I have silkies so there's always one or two broodies in there. Now they could actually hatch eggs if I left them. If a hen lays in a different nest after I've taken all the eggs, they sometimes move over and go sit on that one. That is a serious broody hen.
Yours, I don't think so. But still it doesn't mean she ruined the eggs. She might be protecting them too, waiting for a few more.

Do you have any extras you could mark with an X and put in there just to see what she does? I'd try that for a day and see what happens.

Thank you! Well... im confused. Unlike yesterday, now she went back even though its starting to get dark. So maybe there is some hope... but, again, im really worried about the eggs. However, I thought to myself, if there are eggs in the coop and the layers lay during the day, a different hen every time, its similar to these case. The eggs are bein sit on almost all day. And eggs were never ruined for me even though i sometimes forgot to collect for two days. Is there hope??

Thank you! Well... im confused. Unlike yesterday, now she went back even though its starting to get dark. So maybe there is some hope... but, again, im really worried about the eggs. However, I thought to myself, if there are eggs in the coop and the layers lay during the day, a different hen every time, its similar to these case. The eggs are bein sit on almost all day. And eggs were never ruined for me even though i sometimes forgot to collect for two days. Is there hope??
I'd just mark the calendar. Hens usually know what they're doing. Hopefully in around 3 weeks you'll have some little chicks running around.

I'd just mark the calendar. Hens usually know what they're doing. Hopefully in around 3 weeks you'll have some little chicks running around.

Hi, an update!
I candled two of the eggs. One of them had veins with something in the middle, looks like a spider web, and in the second one I didn't see veins like in the furst one, but it HAD something in the middle of the yolk.

Are those good news?

Hi, an update!
I candled two of the eggs. One of them had veins with something in the middle, looks like a spider web, and in the second one I didn't see veins like in the furst one, but it HAD something in the middle of the yolk.

Are those good news?
It sounds like at least one egg is starting to develop :).

Hi, an update!

Are those good news?
The one with the veins with something in the middle sounds normal for one growing.

The other one doesn't sound so great as it should have veins like your other one.

The one with the veins with something in the middle sounds normal for one growing.

The other one doesn't sound so great as it should have veins like your other one.

Thank you all

Should I toss the second one?

Tomorrow I will candle the rest of the eggs... hope to see good results!!

Thank you all

Should I toss the second one?

Tomorrow I will candle the rest of the eggs... hope to see good results!!
If you aren't positive, make a question mark or X on it with a pencil. It should have veins though. Or, wait until you candle the rest of them and if you're seeing more with veins, then you'll know.

Those some of us call lava lamps as when you put a flashlight to them, they light up as they're chickenless.

If you aren't positive, make a question mark or X on it with a pencil. It should have veins though. Or, wait until you candle the rest of them and if you're seeing more with veins, then you'll know.

Those some of us call lava lamps as when you put a flashlight to them, they light up as they're chickenless.

Thank you!!

I am planing to candle them when she goes on hee daily break. But - the thing with her is that she takes her breaks in the early morning hour - when its cold.... can I take them out of the warm nest in that case?
Also, when candleing with a flash ligh - is it ok to turn the eggs to see better? Or it will hurt them?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom