muscovy mama on nest

I thought I heard tiny chirps and I did!!!!!!!!! Mama has alot of lil chicks in there and they are poking up thier heads.I seen her eating an egg shell yesterday and looked it up and found that it gives her calcium she needs.How long does she sit on the babies? I know they can fend for themselves food wise.Since she is a wild muscovy I wont go and put food by her nest.she will still raise her head to me but her feathers stay sown and she chirps to me.When they leave the nest Ill Give them a treat and let them be on thier way.Ill take a pic when I see them all.IM so very happy!!!!! now to start thinking about next year and making a nest box for her.

tempImageF9zBTg.jpg

So happy to report that there is a clutch of lil chicks waiting ,very impatiently at times lol,to see the new world.How many days do yall think shell sit on the nest with them?

To keep raccoons from the nest, you can sprinkle cayenne pepper or chili powder in a large circle around the nest area.

I don't think she will be back to the nest. What they do is bring the ducklings to a new nest. Just try to follow the trail to make sure none of them got left behind. One year my sister had a duck nest in her back yard and when the Mama bird took them to the pond they fell down a drain. The city sent someone to get the ducklings out of the drain. Apparently this happens a lot.

Back
Top Bottom