New (soon to be) duck dad! Muscovys! Need advice :D

Hard to say if a mama duck with ducklings would adopt and if she doesn't how will you get them back? Sure wouldn't want to leave them out on the pond for other ducks to injure or kill[drakes] will kill ducklings.

Hard to say if a mama duck with ducklings would adopt and if she doesn't how will you get them back? Sure wouldn't want to leave them out on the pond for other ducks to injure or kill[drakes] will kill ducklings.
Yeah that's true. I can't risk it =(

At what age would they be able to go out to the pond on their own? It's a fenced neighborhood pond. They really would never be able to be wild, and forage for their own food? :(
looking into it, it might just be illegal actually. ugh. i'll try to find someone to take them on their fenced property

Last edited:
My ducks do forge , eat bugs , grass, weeds ect
But their main feed is crumble
They are use to me providing it
As well as putting them in at night in a secure building
The problem is moms stop at 3-5 weeks and force them on their own
In that 3-5 weeks she teaches them how to swim , eat , fear ect
I have incubated ducklings and they love when I come see them
They are on my lap and running around me
When my broody duck had her babies they were terrified of me
Mom kept them at a distance and I respected her boundaries she set out
I watched her teach them how to eat and drink
She would try the feed then do some talking and they would try
Then the water
When I set up a little sled with water she would test it first
If they didn’t listen she nudged them with her beak and quacked at them
They were cautious of other ducks , my dog , myself ect
Mom made sure nobody went near them
My point is
Those babies won’t have that teaching to be wild
A few may get it but most will die not knowing how to be wild
I understand you wanting to help by saving the eggs
Most of us would do the same

There is a state form on here for every state. You can post the babies in there and hopefully somebody close to you can adopt them

@Miss Lydia can help guide you to that in the morning

Thanks for the comprehensive response; I appreciate it. Honestly, knowing this, might have been better just leaving the eggs. I thought I was doing the right thing. I'm in $1k+ between incubator and all the rest of the stuff i've bought - and happy to do it, as i thought I was helping them.

My sister lives out in the 'country' - everyone on multiple acres of land, lots of homestead type farms (sheep, small ponds, etc) - she's going to speak to her neighbors - many of them already have ducks roaming around their property

Is it worth trying to find a (wild) mother duck in the next few days that has ducklings, to see if she will adopt them?
And if she doesn't and attacks them instead, what could you do? Too risky in my opinion.

i'd read that they are good at foraging for food, flies, mosquitos and so forth.
They would have been taught by their mother how and where to do this. As Miss Lydia said, now food comes in a bowl.

Didn't want to abandon the eggs to die,
What made you think they were abandoned? Ducks will lay a clutch, one egg at a time, before they sit consistently. Also the duck may have left the nest briefly to get food and water.

Muscovy ducks (which are pretty ugly as adults).
Well as a Muscovy owner, that is a matter of opinion. lol

my sister can take the entire 14 if necessary, but the plan was for them to eventually have their own little life, if possible.
That would be best short term but eventually some of the 14 may have to move on. depending on the sex these ducklings are. There is an ideal duck/drake ratio for a healthy flock, 4 ducks to 1 drake. Otherwise over-mating will be a problem. Ducks don't care if the female is a sibling/mother/aunt.
They can have a good, safe, longer life now as a domesticated duck.

I think you have had an exciting experience and have learned a lot, but suggest that next time you do not take eggs from wild birds. Let nature do what nature does.

What made you think they were abandoned? Ducks will lay a clutch, one egg at a time, before they sit consistently. Also the duck may have left the nest briefly to get food and water.

I think you have had an exciting experience and have learned a lot, but suggest that next time you do not take eggs from wild birds. Let nature do what nature does.
When I found out about the eggs from an older widowed family friend, the mother duck was not coming back to them. It was either I take them, or they get thrown into the trash. I thought I was doing the right thing, and I still believe i did.

Also on their appearance - I agree, I think they're decent looking birds, but I think the average person would disagree lol. They think 'duck' and they think mallards and pekings.

Last edited:
I made some calls today and was able to find 3 spots that are good. Fenced in, couple acres, each of them with other farm animals but no dogs. Ducks can live out a good life once they're a little older and don't need heat lamps, etc. I'll divide them up between the 3 spots. All 3 are 'homestead' type spots, where they just enjoy having farm animals, but they aren't breeding or going to kill them. So for now I can focus on just raising them for another month or two :)

Back
Top Bottom