muscovy mama on nest

reason72

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2024
We have a muscovy mama that made a nest about 6ft from my front doorman the flower garden.We feed all kinds of the wildlife, and have lots of muscovy ducks in the neighborhood.After she made her nest we went to the feed store and bought some duck food they called scratch.Also we have a large lid we turned upside down and made a hole to fit it in so she had plenty of water for drink plus bath (she was smelling really bad)She comes off everyday to eat and drink/bath daily and goes right back to her nest.She was doing this daily till a raccoon tried to get to her eggs.My brother has his window right above her nest and keeps it open to hear anything for her.He heard the disturbance and ran outside and chased the raccoon away.It didnt get any eggs or harm our mama.that night though, after sitting on her nest for a couple weeks, she got scared I think and took off for the night.We sit outside alot and we watch over her.Bbut she didnt come back that night and the eggs were not covered over the top by her down.we put a barrier over the nest, put rocks on it to keep it covered tho.She came back the next morning and my brother uncovered her nest for her and she started sitting on them again.Sorry about all of this so far lol.My question is, since she has stayed with her nest instead of abandoning and is back to always being on it again.Will the eggs still hatch? or becasue she left the eggs overnight, are they not going to hatch? Its been about the time for them to hatch now, and I told my brother we will goive them a couple more weeks just in case.Im just worried that becasue she left the nest uncovered the way she did and not come back overnight that the nest is a lost cause.How do we know?We are also in Tampa Bay Area in Fl.and it was a chilly night she left the nest.She is constantly on the nest ever since she came back.

Raccoon eats ducks too, not just eggs. :(

:fl
yes I know but she wasnt hurt.TG! we really are trying to help her along by providing her food and water.She knows we protect her and when she comes off the nest she waits for us to feed her.by my brother running out and chasing the raccoon away we haven't had anymore problems with anything disturbing her.Hes chased away a male duck trying to breed with her on her nest also.As im sitting her now, i thought I heard tiny chirps coming from her area.:) im hoping, fingers crossed.im just wondering if because of her leaving the nest that night that it hurt them hatching.

:welcome A belated welcome to BYC. Given the climate in your location, I doubt that a night away from her nest killed the eggs. You do know that they take 5 weeks to hatch? Good luck for a successful hatch.
Thank you for the warm welcome.I have read they take longer to hatch.Im so happy to hear that they are hopefully ok.i think I just heard a few very lil chirps coming from the nest!!!!!!! Dont know if its want I want to hear but I hope so.Will she sit there till they all hatch now?I know they will follow her when she gets up.Im so excited for her and already planning on making a box for her next year or whenever she wants to nest again.Ive been doing alot of reading about them.

by providing her food
I'm sorry, I appreciate what your doing! I know she wasn't hurt that time.. but raccoon are sneaky and you may not hear when it comes back. I hesitate to say put something around her (what I kinda wanna imply) because being able to get away might be what's saving her.. as opposed to something the raccoon can reach through anyways and usually heads are ripped off.

I forgot to mention that.. can you verify if what you're offering is labeled as "scratch".. because that is NOT duck food (it's candy bars or chips).. and *may* cause more harm than good.. especially to any new hatchlings. ETA: usually (under confinement conditions) okay as a treat.. not more than 10% of total intake.

Here's to hoping for babies! :fl

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I appreciate what your doing! I know she wasn't hurt that time.. but raccoon are sneaky and you may not hear when it comes back. I hesitate to say put something around her (what I kinda wanna imply) because being able to get away might be what's saving her.. as opposed to something the raccoon can reach through anyways and usually heads are ripped off.

I forgot to mention that.. can you verify if what you're offering is labeled as "scratch".. because that is NOT duck food (it's candy bars or chips).. and *may* cause more harm than good.. especially to any new hatchlings. ETA: usually (under confinement conditions) okay as a treat.. not more than 10% of total intake.

Here's to hoping for babies! :fl
hmmmmm ok that kinda makes me mad at the girl from the feed store becasue I told her I want to make sure she gets her nutrients.She said scratch is the perfect food then.Could I feed her bird food? I bought some of that as well and have noticed other ducks eating it from the birdhouses above hanging?ill look up proper duck foods read somewhere about pellets that you put in water?

hmmmmm ok that kinda makes me mad at the girl from the feed store becasue I told her I want to make sure she gets her nutrients.She said scratch is the perfect food then.Could I feed her bird food? I bought some of that as well and have noticed other ducks eating it from the birdhouses above hanging?ill look up proper duck foods read somewhere about pellets that you put in water?
I'm sure she meant well, but most of the people working at the feed stores aren't actually educated in these things. Bird food won't work. You'll want something in pellets, like this. Pellets should be kept in a dry bowl and not mixed with water, otherwise it will mold.
1208970_1.jpg

I also choose think people are doing their best despite often being misinformed.. and include myself in that group.

Scratch is a far better choice than bread fed at many ponds and may be a perfect food for energy and enrichment and for visiting birds but not nutrition and not for growing birds at usually around 8% protein. She may takes her babies when they hatch and not return or only come back for feeding?? I'm not sure, since I've never dealt with it. But whatever you are feeding her, I would remove it at night, since that also attracts those pesky coons, rodents, etc.

Bird seed is also not appropriate as a feed for any poultry.. it will very likely be high in fat content.. yes, they love to eat it and it's high reward!

Purina brand flock raiser works well.. My babies ate crumble or maybe mash which is essentially wet crumble. Never floating pellets for no specific reason we just never went that route. They (the ducklings) need 20-22% protein (it's amino acids) and 55mg/kg of feed in niacin (not always included on tag but should meet minimums by law in the US, IF age and species are listed on the feeding directions).. these statements are under confined conditions.. She (the hen) *may* already have it down based on her range conditions.

Any results from the suspected peeping? Do you know how long she's actually been sitting for, date wise approximately?

Back
Top Bottom