Advice on how to catch a predator who is killing my chickens

screger43

Hatching
Jun 7, 2016
I woke up this morning to find one of my hens who was sitting on eggs missing and her feathers all over the yard. I feel horrible because the coop was left open because another one of my hens went missing 2 days ago from the yard so I left the coop open in hopes she would show up. She had never been outside the coop alone at night so I left it open so she could go back inside. Now I realize what a horrible mistake I have made. Does anyone have any advice on how I can catch what is killing my hens? A neighbor down the street has also lost 2 hens this week. I could keep them locked in the coop at all times but I would like to catch what is killing them so I can stop worrying. Any help is appreciated. It's a very sad day here.

I truly feel your pain. It has happened to me more times than I can bear to think about. Most recently, a raccoon chewed a hole in the pop door and killed all 9 birds in that flock.

In the future, if a hen goes missing, she won't return at night so go ahead and lock up by dusk. If the best thing happens, she has found a good safe place to roost in a tree and will return in the morning. If not, something has already taken her.

To catch what is killing there are options. It is best to figure out what the predators are so you can choose the appropriate trap. To do that you need a game cam.
Notice I referred to the culprit in the plural. You don't have a predator, you most likely have lots of them.

If we knew where you live, we'd have a better inkling of what predators are in your area. Then we could suggest appropriate trapping means.

Last edited:
If that was I my house, feathers and no chicken or parts it would be a fox. If that might be a possibility in your area set a live trap, pile hay on top so it looks like a mound of grass with a hole at the bottom. Go buy a chicken breast or any store bought chicken for that matter and throw it in the back of the trap, wait up to a week and rebait the trap. When my neibhors loose a chicken I don't wait around, I get a couple live traps going and can usually catch that sneaky fox within a week. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom