Advice on nail clipping

Why are my Russians nails so much longer than my Sussex? Is that just a breed thing
Their claws are constantly growing. They wear them down with scratching. What they are scratching on or even walking on if you have a concrete floor can make a difference.

I practically never have to trim my hens' claws but occasionally do with a rooster. That's mostly an adolescent cockerel doing damage to the girls' feathers when mating. When he gets past adolescence it's usually not a problem for my flock but others can still have issues. Each situation is different.

I don't find it to be a breed thing but my breeds have been somewhat limited as to how different they are. It can be an individual thing probably based on how active they are or maybe a flock thing.

Their claws are constantly growing. They wear them down with scratching. What they are scratching on or even walking on if you have a concrete floor can make a difference.

I practically never have to trim my hens' claws but occasionally do with a rooster. That's mostly an adolescent cockerel doing damage to the girls' feathers when mating. When he gets past adolescence it's usually not a problem for my flock but others can still have issues. Each situation is different.

I don't find it to be a breed thing but my breeds have been somewhat limited as to how different they are. It can be an individual thing probably based on how active they are or maybe a flock thing.
I don't have a concrete floor for them. They are free range and I have a gravel driveway that's about it.

Back
Top Bottom