Recovery/Reintroduction Post Wry Neck.

SDigby50

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 12, 2019
I have a small flock of 14 hens, 8 pullets (about 4 months old), and two very civil roosters. One of my older hens, probably about four years old, developed wry neck nearly 2 months ago. I brought her in and followed advice for 6 weeks, and I'd say she is probably back to 80% function. Under stress she still drops to the ground and flops around, and she still does a bit of star-gazing. Earlier in the week I put her out in the coop in a wire dog crate (my flock free-ranges) and she's doing well.....eating, drinking, interacting with the other chickens. My question is, has anyone ever successfully re-integrated a "semi-disabled" hen back to the flock? Any idea of a time frame, and I realize there will need to be good supervision, spray bottles, etc.. TIA

You said under stress she reverts back to the issues. Generally, it's calming for chickens to be with other chickens. It might be good for her, so like you said, "supervised."

You said under stress she reverts back to the issues. Generally, it's calming for chickens to be with other chickens. It might be good for her, so like you said, "supervised."
My chicken had the same thing. I brought her in for a month and would take her back out and put her with one other chicken in a depart cage for a couple weeks. She adjusted well and is back with the flock. I think mine got the wry neck from a couple other chickens cornering her and picking at her neck. Sometimes them girls are mean. Just watch and separate her if you need to so she isn't being picked on to much.☺️

Back
Top Bottom