Advice on quarantining a new hen from neighbor

anpickles

Hatching
May 1, 2023
So our neighbor is moving soon and she's down to one last chicken after recent predator issues. I told her I'd take the chicken. The problem is I also have new baby chicks coming this week and they are going to be in the place where I would normally put a chicken to quarantine. I really don't have a place for the new chicken to quarantine.

So my question is..... Is it quarantine if my neighbor has the chicken by itself for the normal quarantine period of time? If the goal is to see if the chicken is sick in any way, does it have to quarantine on our property? Would out work if it were isolated on hers? We're close friends and I've been over to her property many many times. I trust her, but I understand that sometimes things happen that are unexpected. But this is the only solution I've found. Thoughts??? I'd really appreciate any help or ideas!

Thanks!

If I was in this sitch I think my plan would be what you're saying... Go over to neighbors everyday for a few days to check out her health, listen for coughing, watch behavior, check out what she's being fed, poo look normal? Then I'd put a separator in your run so her and your chickens can see but not touch for a few days. Place her on a roost bar at night, etc. like integrating new chicks. Should be fine. Poor thing being alone is going to love having a flock again.

Thanks! That's good advice! And yes, we've had some predator issues too (our rural area has so many predators 🤦) and we're down to 3 chickens. I'm happy her little chicken will have a flock again! Being all alone is so sad. But yeah, my baby chicks that are coming are taking my other area, so I do appreciate the advice!

Do not take anything you feel sorry for. That being said - healthy tends to look heathy, and if you and her have visited each other, and admired the birds, you have broken quarantine unless you don't bring your shoes home, change clothes and shower before visiting your birds.

Can I guarantee it 100%, no, there are reasons that people keep very valuable flocks in a closed situation. But with just a small back yard flock, I don't think you are risking much. I have added birds like that to mine.

Do not take anything you feel sorry for. That being said - healthy tends to look heathy, and if you and her have visited each other, and admired the birds, you have broken quarantine unless you don't bring your shoes home, change clothes and shower before visiting your birds.

Can I guarantee it 100%, no, there are reasons that people keep very valuable flocks in a closed situation. But with just a small back yard flock, I don't think you are risking much. I have added birds like that to mine.
x2. I would consider skipping biological quarantine in this case if the bird has been well kept and if you've already been to the neighbors and vice versa, as it's fairly likely you've both tracked any contaminants back and forth.

I hadn't thought about how we'd already tracked contaminants. That's a really good point, as we def have. We've even watched their animals for them when they're out of town and vice versa. Thanks for pointing that out!

Back
Top Bottom