Advice on Roosting Bars

GreenHaven

Chirping
Apr 17, 2023
Pacific Northwest
I moved my 7 week old roosters outside, and they are doing OK but are not using the roosting bars. In the brooder, some of the birds were roosting, but now they all seem to have taken to sleeping in a pile in a large box I put into the coop with pine shavings for bedding. It was intended to be temporary - to help them adjust to their new environment. Its averaging around 40 at night. I'm wondering if its too cold for them to roost, or too soon to expect them to roost, or perhaps my roosts be too high off the ground (around 20 inches.) I was debating lowering the perches, and wanted to get some advice before modifying their enclosure. Their enclosure is a tractor with no floor, and the front is fairly open.

Its averaging around 40 at night. I'm wondering if its too cold for them to roost,
At 7 weeks old, no. If a cold wind were hitting them they probably aren't roosting at any age.

perhaps my roosts be too high off the ground (around 20 inches.)
At 7 weeks they should have no problems flying up to roosts five feet high or higher. My 4 week olds have no problems flying up to mine if the broody hen tells them to. Yours just don't want to.

too soon to expect them to roost,
This is probably the closest. I've had a broody hen take her chicks to roost at 2 weeks of age so your 7 week olds could roost if they wanted to. I have had brooder raised chicks sleep on the roost all on their own at 5 weeks, but most of my brooder raised chicks start roosting on their own at 10 to 12 weeks. This is with no adults around. I personally don't see any reasons for you to modify anything.

At 7 weeks old, no. If a cold wind were hitting them they probably aren't roosting at any age.

At 7 weeks they should have no problems flying up to roosts five feet high or higher. My 4 week olds have no problems flying up to mine if the broody hen tells them to. Yours just don't want to.

This is probably the closest. I've had a broody hen take her chicks to roost at 2 weeks of age so your 7 week olds could roost if they wanted to. I have had brooder raised chicks sleep on the roost all on their own at 5 weeks, but most of my brooder raised chicks start roosting on their own at 10 to 12 weeks. This is with no adults around. I personally don't see any reasons for you to modify anything.
Thanks so much! I'll just give it time.

I moved my 7 week old roosters outside, and they are doing OK but are not using the roosting bars. In the brooder, some of the birds were roosting, but now they all seem to have taken to sleeping in a pile in a large box I put into the coop with pine shavings for bedding. It was intended to be temporary - to help them adjust to their new environment. Its averaging around 40 at night. I'm wondering if its too cold for them to roost, or too soon to expect them to roost, or perhaps my roosts be too high off the ground (around 20 inches.) I was debating lowering the perches, and wanted to get some advice before modifying their enclosure. Their enclosure is a tractor with no floor, and the front is fairly open.
My chicks had been sleeping in the nesting box but at 5 1/2 weeks they have moved to the perch with their moms encouragement. It's about 3 feet high and they fly up.

My chicks had been sleeping in the nesting box but at 5 1/2 weeks they have moved to the perch with their moms encouragement. It's about 3 feet high and they fly
My roos are now 15 weeks, and they have been happily roosting for awhile. I’ve three different breeds, and they sure develop on different time lines. They can all fly out of their 48” enclosure if they want to, I’ve found. Fortunately- the roost is their sanctuary and they don’t seem to want to. I tried to separate a few - they managed to fly back into their original coop by dusk.

Back
Top Bottom