Advice on safe quarantine for new arrivals

andreacroyle

Songster
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
Florida
Going to the farm swap this morning to pic out some new ducklings. I still have my injured drake and 5 wk duckling in my bathroom. I take them out to let them forage in my yard but they get freaked out if I leave them out too close to dark in their duck run. I am thinking that the baby needs friends for support for an easy transition to the outdoors over night. My drake isnt exactly warm and fuzzy towards him. My plan is to buy some scovie ducklings close to his age and keep them outside in their coop and then slowly transition the inside ducks out over the next few weeks.

Can you please give me advice on how to not transmit any diseases between ducks? Beyond washing hands and keeping them separated?

1. I am wondering if there are airbourne issues. Should I allow my two ducklings to forage in the yard 50'x70' privacy fence area while the new ducklings are in the same yard in the duck run? Can they potentially catch something if they are near one another through a fence?

2. If one of the new ducks do have something and dies, will it contaminate the duck run and soil the way parvo does with dogs?

3. Is a antibacterial soap good enough to kill any avian diseases on dishes and my hands?

4. What is the shortest (but safe) time frame for separation keeping in mind that I dont have a lot of room in my house.

Thanks for any advice.

and wish me luck for a happy healthy duck adding

1. Yes, several diseases are airborne, AI and cholera immediately come to mind.

2.Possible, again it depends upon what it is. Many parasites and diseases have stages that may remain in the soil for years.

3. Antibacterial soap usually kills bacteria, but will not kill viruses.

4. Biosecurity usually recommends 30 days of no contact. That means you take care of 1 group, change clothes and disinfect before caring for the other group.

Clint

What about giving everyone a dose of tetracycline in their water? ......I am reading different things on the internet and it doesnt seem like that will be good enough. But I would like to worm everyone. any suggestions on the best thing to use?

We bought two chocolate rippled hens (that are scared) and 4 white ducklings (full run). I wish I could just vaccinate everyone and be done with it like you can dogs. But until I read more and more wonderful people give me advice, I will keep everyone separate.

Back
Top Bottom