Advice on What Went Wrong--Hatching Experts, I Need You!!!

You live in Nova Scotia ? WOW! How's the weather, or is that a stupid question
lau.gif

I really don't want to alarm anyone about their feed. I don't think 1 scoop of Scratch will really hurt anything, but you won't know until you try to hatch. My main purpose to get people thinking about what they are feeding. Experience has taught me that a 20% feed for breeders is better. It also assures that the birds are getting all the nutrition that is required to produce eggs that will have the best chance of hatching & that chicks get off to a good start .
I had some Buff Orpington layers & they did fine on the 16% protein feed. They look fine & laid well. When I switched to the 20% it didn't change how the birds looked or acted, but what I did notice is that their eggs looked better & the shells were a darker brown than before.
I think that most of this feed produced today is inferior to what was produced a few years ago. I'm discovering that large breeder facilities do not use feeds that are available to us. Most mix their own, but they are using meat meal of some sort in their rations - that is the way commercial feeds use to be made. Their are studies that prove these poultry feed we currently use are not as good as in the past. I'm afraid we are stuck with what we get, so we just will live with it.

I've had my worst hatches with eggs that I brought back 1500 miles from Trader Joe's. I ended up with 7 hatching out of 4 dz. The eggs ended up sweating in the cooler even thought I tried to keep everything good.

My next worst hatch was with eggs saved by someone else. Who know what those eggs went through but I know it wasn't all that great.

My best hatches were from a local person who collected eggs for me in a day or two. I also gave them some cow mineral to give to their chickens. I give mineral to the chickens because it helps our cows so much. The mineral seems to give them an oomph that just regular feed doesn't. I had 32 out of 42 set. She had one rooster for 60+ hens so there was a lot stacked against that hatch but eggs from her were my best hatches.

I think you had a lot stacked against those eggs you before you even set them. I would just go on from here and try another hatch.

lau.gif

I really don't want to alarm anyone about their feed. I don't think 1 scoop of Scratch will really hurt anything, but you won't know until you try to hatch. My main purpose to get people thinking about what they are feeding. Experience has taught me that a 20% feed for breeders is better. It also assures that the birds are getting all the nutrition that is required to produce eggs that will have the best chance of hatching & that chicks get off to a good start .
I had some Buff Orpington layers & they did fine on the 16% protein feed. They look fine & laid well. When I switched to the 20% it didn't change how the birds looked or acted, but what I did notice is that their eggs looked better & the shells were a darker brown than before.
I think that most of this feed produced today is inferior to what was produced a few years ago. I'm discovering that large breeder facilities do not use feeds that are available to us. Most mix their own, but they are using meat meal of some sort in their rations - that is the way commercial feeds use to be made. Their are studies that prove these poultry feed we currently use are not as good as in the past. I'm afraid we are stuck with what we get, so we just will live with it.

I only started with chickens last year so I cannot say much about the feed, but the stores here all only seem to carry the same thing. I have seen the purine brand, but still 16%. I do have some calls in to a few other stores in towns nearby to see if they carry anything different, and I suppose I may just have to make a few stops next time 8 am on the road and see what I can scrounge up for info. Really I just learned about protein effecting birds last week when I started researching hatching eggs. I sometimes wish I had some family who remembers raising chickens to teach me the ropes because I often find Conflicting information. Thanks again Bill101

I've had my worst hatches with eggs that I brought back 1500 miles from Trader Joe's. I ended up with 7 hatching out of 4 dz. The eggs ended up sweating in the cooler even thought I tried to keep everything good.

My next worst hatch was with eggs saved by someone else. Who know what those eggs went through but I know it wasn't all that great.

My best hatches were from a local person who collected eggs for me in a day or two. I also gave them some cow mineral to give to their chickens. I give mineral to the chickens because it helps our cows so much. The mineral seems to give them an oomph that just regular feed doesn't. I had 32 out of 42 set. She had one rooster for 60+ hens so there was a lot stacked against that hatch but eggs from her were my best hatches.

I think you had a lot stacked against those eggs you before you even set them. I would just go on from here and try another hatch.

Thank you, I will definitely be more careful about who I acquire hatching eggs from in future!

Nice detailed info!
thumbsup.gif

Your numbers and data is spot on for a very good hatch. Your humidity got a little rambunctious on you during lockdown, but that's very difficult to control. Adding wet paper towels and sponges should even things out for you so you don't get those drops.

I would encourage you to check your thermometers as well, because high temps cause early hatches, as well as chicks that quit at the last few days.

Other than that, you definitely got eggs from a bad seller. Most of them sounded infertile, and he is definitely not providing proper nutrition. Nutrition is REALLY important for breeding hens, as they'll pass along deficiencies to the chicks. Keep an eye on the ones that did make it, as they might start getting deficiency problems like wry neck, curled toes, etc.

I hope you have better luck with your next hatch! Keep at it!

lau.gif

Its cold out here!! Stil some snow on the ground.

Ive been giving my birds things like spinach and romane now and again as a treat for extra vitamins, not every day, just once a week or so. They also have free choice calcium. Their eggs are pretty good, though one of them, I dont know who, has weak shells. Ive seen them all eat calcium, so i dont know. the feed is supposed to have it too i guess.

Anyhow, Im really glad I came across this post! Its got info i never even thought of!

HeartMoss -

I have had the EXACT same experience. I am meticulous. I picked up the eggs myself and had everything set up before starting the incubation (with 4 day old eggs), but have had trouble keeping the bator humidity up (my room is ~35% and the bator wants to be 16% RH!!!!) and I'm down to one certifiably living egg at day 14. The others are a hail Mary at this point. What a heartbreak. I'll go to the ends of the earth for this lone kid but I hope it was nothing I did wrong. I did end up with blood spot in 10 of 28 and several others that just appear to have died in the process. My temps have been steady the whole time at 102 (still-air). I have an egg turner to keep my forgetful self away from the responsibility of turning... and yet, a huge failure. How discouraging! Will try eggs from another, more verifiable source next time.

Hope things turn out better for you in the future.
hugs.gif

HeartMoss -

I have had the EXACT same experience. I am meticulous. I picked up the eggs myself and had everything set up before starting the incubation (with 4 day old eggs), but have had trouble keeping the bator humidity up (my room is ~35% and the bator wants to be 16% RH!!!!) and I'm down to one certifiably living egg at day 14. The others are a hail Mary at this point. What a heartbreak. I'll go to the ends of the earth for this lone kid but I hope it was nothing I did wrong. I did end up with blood spot in 10 of 28 and several others that just appear to have died in the process. My temps have been steady the whole time at 102 (still-air). I have an egg turner to keep my forgetful self away from the responsibility of turning... and yet, a huge failure. How discouraging! Will try eggs from another, more verifiable source next time.

Hope things turn out better for you in the future.
hugs.gif

Thank you for the reply BlazeJester! I'm so sorry to hear about your hatch that went badly as well
hugs.gif
Here's hoping to many successful hatches in our futures...

What sort of incubators are you all using?

i do not have one yet, but am thinking it will be the next investment for the chickens. I really was hoping to get a good broody when I bought my Cochins, but so far they are not interested, so I am starting to look into the incubators.

I was lucky to find lots of other "bird" supplies lying around the farm when we bought the place, and I am sure I probably tossed some things inadvertently not knowing what they were at the time... But some things I saved and they have thus far been helpful like feeders and troughs and such

Quote: Are those cochins LF or Bantam. Most Cochins have to go through a laying cycle, sometimes 2 before they will become broody. Once they do, they are determined.
There are a lot of incubators out there, it depends on just how much you are willing to spend. If you think you are going to do this on a regular basics it pays to buy one that is more expensive. Remember that you generally get what you pay for. The difference is that more expensive ones have more automatic feathers & generally hatch better with less attention.

Back
Top Bottom