Advice Please! Hen has shed intestinal lining for the last 3 days. Possible coccidiosis? Should I treat her?

So guys, unfortunately, that thing about the corid being bought was actually a mistake.

I am a younger user on here. I can use the site but I cannot go to a store by myself and cannot buy something online by myself. I have to leave it to my parents. Unfortunately, I thought that the corid was already bought since I talked about it to a parent last night. Today however, they thought that it wasn’t necessary for them to get the corid since the hen was acting alright. They think that a hen showing no sickness symptoms isn’t sick. I said that it was just to be safe and that a hen shedding lining everyday wasn’t normal, but I guess I wasn’t able to convince them. I really do care about my hens, my parents do too, but it seems like they don’t think it’s necessary for the hens to take medicine when they act just fine.

I didn’t see much lining today, I saw more yesterday and the days before, so should I still ask for the corid? My parents told me to wait a few more days before deciding but im not feeling comfortable with that since this seems to be a extremely bad issue. I’m stuck, I want to help my hen when I can, but it seems like my parents don’t agree, what should I do?

someone please help!
I am a new chicken owner, and I see your concern. Since I have zero experience but would like to try to help, my suggestion is to read through similar threads and make your determination by putting together the advice you gather that was given to others and I see a lot of coccidiosis mentioned. I belong to a very friendly, no bully chicken site on FB called "Chicken Tenders" and I notice that chicken keepers aren't very chatty with people. lol!

So guys, unfortunately, that thing about the corid being bought was actually a mistake.

I am a younger user on here. I can use the site but I cannot go to a store by myself and cannot buy something online by myself. I have to leave it to my parents. Unfortunately, I thought that the corid was already bought since I talked about it to a parent last night. Today however, they thought that it wasn’t necessary for them to get the corid since the hen was acting alright. They think that a hen showing no sickness symptoms isn’t sick. I said that it was just to be safe and that a hen shedding lining everyday wasn’t normal, but I guess I wasn’t able to convince them. I really do care about my hens, my parents do too, but it seems like they don’t think it’s necessary for the hens to take medicine when they act just fine.

I didn’t see much lining today, I saw more yesterday and the days before, so should I still ask for the corid? My parents told me to wait a few more days before deciding but im not feeling comfortable with that since this seems to be a extremely bad issue. I’m stuck, I want to help my hen when I can, but it seems like my parents don’t agree, what should I do?
Ask your parents if theyd be concerned enough to take you to a doctor or get you some medicine if you started regularly pooping blood... or if theyd wait for your condition to deteriorate? I'm probably not the best person to ask when it comes to how to deal with parents... far too much sass!

Unfortunately, you are not alone. Many young people have come to this site for help, and their parents have refused to authorize and help implement the advice given.

You are under the authority of your parents, and we will need to work with that. As long as your hen is behaving normally, it will be safe to take a wait and see attitude. Behavior is always much more important than symptoms. Baring actual blood in the poop, this may clear up on its own.

We'll be here to help you convince your parents if your hen starts showing signs of being sick.

If I had a chicken with suspected coccidiosis or suspected worms and I had no access to the medication required, I would look up natural remedies for these two things and add that to their water. Do your own google research, as far as I'm aware, garlic, oregano, turmeric, are all supposed to be natural remedies for coccidiosis, and I believe garlic for worms aswell, google will know more than I do. You can add this stuff to your hens water if shes drinking in the meantime and hope it helps her to recover herself.

If you aren't seeing the lining all the time, then it could be normal shed.
Since your birds are acting fine, then holding off on medications would be wise.
Fresh food, fresh plain water and keep water stations cleaned will go a long way in keeping birds healthier.

@Thechickenaddict don’t worry too much, like the others said, there’s a chance this may heal up on its own. I agree with @Jen1989, using a natural remedy may help her. This site does claim that certain herbs can help boost the immune system.
https://www.fresheggsdaily.blog/2013/11/coccidia-coccidiosis-natural-prevention.html?m=1
If your hen isn’t displaying any bad symptoms, then you can keep on monitoring her for a day or two, if she starts acting down or if you see blood in the poo, then medicine is needed.

Might be unrelated to the shedding problem but I found this dropping she pooped out during free ranging. The urate part is a bit of a pale yellow color. It’s a bit hard to see the color in the picture but compared to her other droppings, the urate on this one is a bit yellowish. The other droppings looked fine so any idea what could have caused this? Could this be from free ranging a lot?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom