Advice please! Khaki with curled toes and legs

sheebshelbs

Hatching
Mar 26, 2023
This baby is roughly a month old. I got it from tractor supply. Its legs and feet were straight when I brought it home and I didn’t notice when they started to curl. We did have an issue with a niacin deficiency but I corrected it and all three of mine have been fine ever since. I’m in the fence about culling the duckling or seeing if she’ll continue to thrive with the disability. I bought these ducks (one Pekin and the khakis) to give us eggs but I also love ducks and these are my babies. Ignore the mess on the floor in the video - I wanted to get one of the duckling walking.

Attachments

• IMG_0115.jpeg
    IMG_0115.jpeg
    303.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0116.jpeg
    IMG_0116.jpeg
    347.4 KB · Views: 4
Are you using Liquid B complex for niacin deficiency? If it isn't on slick wood floors can it navigate better?
I use brewers yeast and I had one other duckling that had a curled foot but once I started using the brewers yeast, its foot straightened out. This one’s legs are deformed and also has the curled feet. It doesn’t navigate any better on anything else.

From the video it makes me think of a slipped tendon. On one side or the other side of the hock joint, you can feel for the tendon. It feels a bit like a string under the skin. The hock joint is what most people mistakenly assume is the ducks knee. When a slipped tendon occurs, it reduces the range of motion in the leg.

Still give the liquid B, but I would check and see if they have slipped tendon.

Back
Top Bottom