Advise for chick with Coccidiosis

cheepsforkeeps

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 24, 2010
I posted last weekend about one of my newest 3 week old bantam frizzle chicks having very bloody poops. I have been treating it as Coccidiosis with Corid 9.6% (1tsp to 1gallon of water) since 12:00 pm last Monday. She seems to be much more active with more good poops and many less with blood. I separated her right away, but went ahead and treated the whole bunch. My questions are:

jumpy.gif
When can I add my frizzle back in with the bunch... she is so bored and lonely. Seems safe since they are all being treated...

bun.gif
I will treat with Corid for 5 days. Do I follow up with any other treatment or will that be it unless I see signs again?

yippiechickie.gif
Also wondered is there any other foods, etc other than yogurt to give for adding probiotics back in?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I use medicated feed, and that helps deter cocci. Even after the 5 day treatment, I would go ahead and use the medicated feed. Yogurt has probiotics. I use nonflavored lowfat yogurt. It is the cheapest route. Otherwise you can buy Probios (at the feed store).

Thanks,
Do you think it's still necessary to keep them separated since they are all being treated with Corid?

No, you don't need to keep them separated. Cocci is not a contagious disease like some other things.

Corid blocks the absorption of important vitamins, so it's a good idea to add vitamins to their water after the Corid treatment is over - in order to help them get strong.

Generally, also, after a true outbreak of cocci, chickens develop resistance and should no longer be susceptible to the particular strains that live in your soil.

I agree with the yogurt. Their intestines will need help healing back up.

I'm glad your girl is looking better and glad you caught it quickly.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom