Advise please needed

motherduckling

Chirping
Sep 1, 2020
I have a little duckling who’s 4 days old. He seems to have one leg that is fused at the knee, it won’t bend and I’m not trying to much as don’t want to hurt him. He swims ok pruns ok and is now darting around like a little bullet, just wondered if anyone else has the same thing and what did you do? I have spoken to a vet. But they won’t tell me anything until I register with them and pay a fortune just to get some options, my horse vet is nowhere near the cost and that for a call out !! . I have got him s little friend as he was the only Hatcher but his friend is a week older and a lot bigger he does keep pecking his foot and pocking him a lot around food, so would appreciate some advise on them together as well, I keep them separate but visual to each other when I’m out and they talk all the time but when put together the bigger one can get a little bullying to the little one. I have got a big house and run for them once they are safe to go out which we can divide into two so they can still be together but not literally together. Will they grow out of the meanness? Any advise would be great thanks

Sounds like a slipped tendon. Is the leg swollen behind the knee. If it isn't swollen you might be able to gently run your fingers down the back of the leg and feel the tendon out of place you might be able to put it back go by the other leg so you'll know what the difference is. If you have a horse vet that will take a look that would be a good idea.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...a-slipped-tendon-one-chick’s-story.69353/this is about a chick but may help.

Hi
Sounds like a slipped tendon. Is the leg swollen behind the knee. If it isn't swollen you might be able to gently run your fingers down the back of the leg and feel the tendon out of place you might be able to put it back go by the other leg so you'll know what the difference is. If you have a horse vet that will take a look that would be a good idea.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/treating-a-chick-with-a-slipped-tendon-one-chick’s-story.69353/this is about a chick but may help.
It’s not growing with the other one either it’s still very thin and the other is growing the knee looks like it’s got a noble on it and I’m hurting him trying to feel the leg he wiggles around squeeking I’m no good with stuff like that as I don’t want to hurt him not an option to have the horse vet put as my horse is boarded 6 miles away and I only ride scooter so I can’t take him there. I’ll get a picture

Hi

It’s not growing with the other one either it’s still very thin and the other is growing the knee looks like it’s got a noble on it and I’m hurting him trying to feel the leg he wiggles around squeeking I’m no good with stuff like that as I don’t want to hurt him not an option to have the horse vet put as my horse is boarded 6 miles away and I only ride scooter so I can’t take him there. I’ll get a picture

Attachments

• IMG_3101.png
    IMG_3101.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 5
It’s probably a slipped tendon a vet would be the best to get it straight. They can live like this but as he gets older it will be harder for him to get around. There also maybe other issues that you can’t see going on since it’s not growing like the other one. If you can’t get a vet to look at this duckling then all you can do is give it love and support.

Thank
It’s probably a slipped tendon a vet would be the best to get it straight. They can live like this but as he gets older it will be harder for him to get around. There also maybe other issues that you can’t see going on since it’s not growing like the other one. If you can’t get a vet to look at this duckling then all you can do is give it love and support.
Thank you I may have found another avian clinic round the corner from me so hopefully if it is that then one of the horses there should be able to do it . I would do it myself but I’ve no idea how and if that’s not the case then I’m scared of hurting him

One question if it was a slipped tendon would I still be able to straighten the leg as it won’t move at all ? Thanks

No, it is going to need a vet to examine and advise There is always the chance nothing can be done but then there is the chance something can be. Sometimes you can slip the tendon back in the groove it has slipped out of but if you can't bend the leg down then best to let a vet have a look. The quicker the better. ^hyen there is always the chance it's a deformity but only a vet can say for sure. If you looked at the link I gave you, you can see the chicks leg and how it's bent.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/treating-a-chick-with-a-slipped-tendon-one-chick’s-story.69353/this is about a chick but may help.
This link does not work ? Thanks

Very sorry,
read this while I look for more in fo
Slipped tendon, also known as perosis, is an orthopedic condition that occurs when the gastrocnemius tendon slips out of alignment from the intercondylar groove of the hock joint in ducks and chickens.2 Affected ducks may have a difficult time walking, limp, or continuously land with one foot on top of the other.3 To diagnose a slipped tendon, hold the joint between your thumb and finger and roll it back and forth. If the tendon has slipped, you will feel it snap back into place. If you don't feel the tendon pop in, your bird may instead have a rotated femur, which requires surgery.0 If the tendon has rolled to the side, use paper tape above and below the joint to hold the tendon in place without cutting off circulation.1 Slipped tendon often occurs in young growing chicks, less than 6 weeks of age, and is associated with nutritional deficiencies in the diet.2

http://www.poultrypedia.com/poultry-podiatry
scroll down until you come to slipped tendon

favicon

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom