After care of assumed vent gleet

rojororeo

Songster
9 Years
May 14, 2013
So I have a Buff Orpington hen who has *I assume* to be vent gleet. (No one else of 15ish hens and chickens is sick)
She shows all the symptoms that are associated with it: Very dirty stinking butt, and she liquid spray-pooped very stinky poop on my when I picked her up. VERY lethargic, fluffed feathers, but crumpled body, eyes closed, head tucked. I noted her to be feeling ill a few days ago, but couldn't clean her until today.
She is now very clean bottomed, freshly blow-dried and is hanging out in the bathroom on a towel in a dog crate with food and water.

I also have a space heater to keep the air temp at about 80-85, as I assume that is better for recovery- a warm room?

We have been syringing her electrolyte laced water, but no interest in food.

Her butt was not that red I didn't think, just extremely poop laden and stinky. There was/is a raised red bump or two. Some feathers are missing.

My questions:

1) How much water to give her? Should I maybe mix some wet cat food into a slurry to syringe that in as well?
2) What, if any cream does she need on her bum, as it is a yeast infection from what I have read. I have read Nystatin, but I don't have any. I do have human female yeast infection cream- miconazole I think it is.
3) How long until she feels better and is eating, drinking and moving around and getting mad at us for all the handling, lol?

Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom