After The Eggs Hatch....

kcorus

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 14, 2013
Hello All,
I've had chickens now for over 2 years. Finally I had a hen hatch eggs (well, the 2nd time). My question, I think is simple, but maybe not. I've read a a lot of thread's on broody hens and letting her hatch the chicks. My question is how long do I let the hen stay w/ her chicks? Should I leave them with her? This is only the 2nd hatch I've had and the 1st one, the chicks didn't live long. It was in the cooler months however.
As a side note, I'm so proud of this girl. She had broken a leg back in Feb. I kept her in the house for two months until she began trying to walk again. She's been back with the flock for some time now, with only a slight limp. Seems like it really turns on our rooster too, LOL. We questioned putting her down when it had happenned. Thank goodness we didn't! This morning I counted 5 chicks with a few more eggs to go.
Do I wait to see how she does or just put them under a heat lamp, isolated.

Thanks in advance for any input.

I'd wait and see how she does. Having a broody raise them is so much easier! What are you planning to do with the chicks (keep, sell, etc)? They usually wean them away around six weeks from what I've read and experienced.

Thanks for the reply. When I got home from work, 6 more eggs had hatched. I'm sure there were more than just her eggs under there! The little guys were already very active. Eating crumbles and finding the water just fine. Mommy is right there and all is well. So much different than last hatch. I'll leave them with her as long as possible and just watch. Boy are they cute!

Back
Top Bottom