Aftercare for egg bound hen that's not eating or drinking after 4 eggs removed!

As I was cleaning her out I noticed a bit of tissue that was a bit harder and bumpier and it came out, but it was still attached so I just gently bathed it to make sure there were no shell fragments and stuck it back in. I’m assuming that was her uterus???

Hi @Jazzchick17 Those eggs. Are they solid? If they are, can you cut a couple of those open?
The tissue you saw that was harder/bumpier and it came out - was it red tissue like a prolapse?
Sorry for the questions, just trying to picture that.

Do what you can to get her hydrated. I'm sure she's exhausted and it sounds like you need some rest too :hugs

Hi @Jazzchick17 Those eggs. Are they solid? If they are, can you cut a couple of those open?
The tissue you saw that was harder/bumpier and it came out - was it red tissue like a prolapse?
Sorry for the questions, just trying to picture that.

Do what you can to get her hydrated. I'm sure she's exhausted and it sounds like you need some rest too :hugs
Thanks for the reply. The eggs went out with the trash last night as they were pretty nasty looking. The tissue was red tissue and appeared to be a prolapse. I made sure to irrigate her cavity as best I could be could feel a mass below it from the outside that looked like a possible bruise/swelling. I made her as comfortable as I could last night but she ended up passing away this morning. I have a feeling that the bruising and possible infection were just too much to handle. She seemed to go peacefully as she just went to sleep and slowly stopped breathing. She was a lovely little hen, but I just can't believe how many eggs with shell that I found inside of her. That's got to be some kind of record.

Thanks for the reply. The eggs went out with the trash last night as they were pretty nasty looking. The tissue was red tissue and appeared to be a prolapse. I made sure to irrigate her cavity as best I could be could feel a mass below it from the outside that looked like a possible bruise/swelling. I made her as comfortable as I could last night but she ended up passing away this morning. I have a feeling that the bruising and possible infection were just too much to handle. She seemed to go peacefully as she just went to sleep and slowly stopped breathing. She was a lovely little hen, but I just can't believe how many eggs with shell that I found inside of her. That's got to be some kind of record.
I am so sorry.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss:hugs

Back
Top Bottom