Age to Breed Hens

Olive Oil

Songster
6 Years
May 11, 2014
La Grange, CA
I have been breeding my older hens, but now have some young ones (5-7 months). They are breeding and laying. I have thought about incubating some of their eggs. Is it best to wait until they are a certain age? I know young hens tend to have a lot of double yolkers and the eggs are small. Do those factors present problems with the developing chicks?

Thanks for reading!

I have been breeding my older hens, but now have some young ones (5-7 months). They are breeding and laying. I have thought about incubating some of their eggs. Is it best to wait until they are a certain age? I know young hens tend to have a lot of double yolkers and the eggs are small. Do those factors present problems with the developing chicks?

Thanks for reading!

I have yet been able to hatch double yolkers, and I try to not incubate the very small eggs, that said, my pullets are 7 months old and a few of their eggs are a bit bigger so I have some under a broody and some in the incubator, due to hatch on the 16th.. Candled evening before last and 12 look very good, 2 of the 12 are not pullet eggs. Some will say wait til they are a year old, but I don't.. As ling as the eggs are a bit bigger then the tiny ones they pop out at first I go for it.

Back
Top Bottom