aggresive blue orpington rooster

It cannot be stressed enough, roosters are NOT pets. Those sweet little birds who like to be cuddled will turn on a dime once they reach sexual maturity.
Never start hand feeding, never try to befriend. Some on here will disagree but many more will agree.

My impression is that their personality is their personality. Sooooo many people swear by whatever method they used that resulted in a "good" roo, but the methods are diametrically opposed in many cases. All I know is a bad roo is not worth keeping, especially as aggression seems to be a heritable trait they pass on to their offspring and nobody needs that!

I have a roo just like yours mine you used to be so sweet could carry him around on my shoulder and now he comes and pricks me and my daughter she has 7 prick that were bleeding from him he also peck super hard to the point where I got a bruise hopefully he turns around or I can make really good chicken noodle soup :)

Handling roosters when young seems to confuse them, they end up thinking that you are part of the flock, when they reach sexual maturity they want to dominate everyone in the flock, including humans who have been giving in to his demands of food and attention.

Now you need to dominate him and maintain that dominant position. I prefer to ignore my rooster chicks, never handle them, they grow up and have a healthy fear of me, they leave me alone, they move out of my way. It can be hard to change behavior that has become established in a rooster, it's best to avoid creating it.

Handling roosters when young seems to confuse them, they end up thinking that you are part of the flock, when they reach sexual maturity they want to dominate everyone in the flock, including humans who have been giving in to his demands of food and attention.

Now you need to dominate him and maintain that dominant position. I prefer to ignore my rooster chicks, never handle them, they grow up and have a healthy fear of me, they leave me alone, they move out of my way. It can be hard to change behavior that has become established in a rooster, it's best to avoid creating it.
that is a really good idea then you also do not feel attached when they need to go into the pot or need to go to a new home.
highfive.gif

that is a really good idea then you also do not feel attached when they need to go into the pot or need to go to a new home.:highfive:
I'm free to judge each rooster on it's own merits, and human aggression never comes into play, never since I've done it this way have I had a rooster come after me, and those that are good become calmer as they age, and I can develop a friendly relationship with them. I give each rooster a chance to be a good rooster instead of setting them up for failure.

x2! Bad boys go to the freezer, nice boys get to stay, or move to another flock. My cockrels learn to move out of my way always; I don't try to feed them treats by hand, or handle them unless there's a specific reason. Roosters are wonderful to have, but not if they are rude to other flock members, or any humans. Mary

Your barnyard breeds will throw a fair amount of mean roosters. They have been selected for size, shape, production and more recently color regardless of temperament. If you want a rooster that you can pick up and cuddle and feed by hand, get a game breed. They have been selected, in some cases for thousands of years to not show human aggression. In other cultures they were handled a lot, in some cases practically living with their keepers.The oriental games are especially friendly. Nothing cuter than seeing a five year old lugging around an ornery looking three foot tall rooster and feeding him by hand. The downside is that you will need elaborate penning arrangements or you will need to keep a one rooster flock

That's why I don't have game birds, although one of those huge velociraptor type cock birds would be really interesting to have! Here we have one flock, and three to six roosters. Couldn't be done with an Aseel. Mary

Not that a good asil couldn't do the job of six normal roosters, but they do make this thing called welded wire. If you wanted a special rooster that kids could pet, and whatnot. And it's not like you have to replace them all that often, they live a long time. It is pretty cool to have a nice rooster around, especially one that doesn't look like he would be all that nice. Mine love to go for rides. Blows people's minds.

Back
Top Bottom