Aggresive Hen

beachchickie

Songster
10 Years
Dec 6, 2009
Alabama
I have a RIR hen that is 1 yr old. She has begun to act weird toward me. She actually tried to attack me by trying to peck me. When I kicked at her she came at me with both feet. Is this normal? On the day this happened my husband was working around the coop with power tools trying to build a new storage building. None of the girls liked the noise and it disturbed their laying habits, but ever since then she bows her feathers out and comes towards me instead of moving away. I need input. Thanks

As a response to the previous post, I noticed my girls weren't as sweet anymore as they got closer to 18 weeks. I chalk it up to natural chicken behavior / pecking order / turning into hens as opposed to chicks/pullets. Also, they were very wary of me when I went on vacation for 10 days, and it took them a few days of me sitting in a chair around them until they "accepted" me again. I will say as they are now closer to laying (21 weeks old and 1 out of the 4 girls has started laying every other day), they have sweetened up a bit again. Or maybe I should say "mellowed out" I feel that they have mostly worked out their pecking order stuff and maybe aren't going through a sexual maturity spurt and feel more comfortable in their own skin. Of course, every day is always a new adventure with "the girls".

Kicking at her reinforces the behavior. A good whack or two with a soft broom followed by a chase around the yard should give her the idea that you are dominant to her.

I wouldn't be whacking her either...you're talking about what a 6# chicken? Too easy to inflict injury. What some folks do is throw whiffle balls at them....they hate to have items flyin' at them, and this should make her think you're a wacko, and should be avoided. Advice most often given is what Horse Featherz said. Pick her up (I usually turn them BACKWARDS so they cannot see where they're going) and carry her around for a bit.

Yup, I also turn them backwards. If they (roo or hen) has really gotten on my nerves, I just might pat (not hit, but pat) their fluffy butt just a bit once they settle. And I usually tease "oh you are such a mean bird".

I have found any time you are aggressive to them, it increases their aggression – so I do not kick, hit with a broom/stick – or anything like that. Like Wynette says - it's a little chicken with hollow bones and it is easy to hurt them.

If you do not like her, then process her for chicken/dumplings.

thanks for the input. I would not actually kick her just did not want her to peck me. I sorta did the foot out protective move. I did pick her up and walk around she still acts funny. I would never hurt her, but I will not be afraid of her or back down from her. I just have never seen her act that way toward any human. I will continue to work with her but she gets a funny look in her eye when I am around.

It's all about dominance. As long as she feels that she is your equal, she will continue this behavior. Your job is to convince her that you are the BOSS.

Back
Top Bottom