Aggresive rooster.

ChickenKeep01

Songster
5 Years
Jul 2, 2016
Australia
I have a golden laced wyandotte rooster who is extremely aggressive and in the 2 months i've had him the only progress i've been able to make with his aggression is that he is now afraid of ski poles. I have tried every method i can find on the internet, i've moved my most passive and tame hen in with him, but i cant do anything to stop him from trying to kill me everytime i go near him unless i have a ski pole, so i'm just wondering if anyone has any advice?

thanks

I would say try Welshies tip, but if that doesn't seem to work, ChickenCanoe is right, roosters are a dime a dozen; its not worth the waste of time dealing with a mean one. We just baked a mean one a month ago after he attacked my wife, and then my sister with her baby; wasn't worth it...

I would say... there are a lot of roosters out there. Lots of roosters. Most of them are nice boys and a pleasure to have around. In addition, most of the time, there are lots and lots of people who are desperate to get rid of their roosters so you can often pick them up for free.

Find a really nice rooster that you like and does not try to kill you. Life is too short; you are doing this for the enjoyment (presumably; you can get eggs at the grocery store) and it can not be enjoyable to have to carry a ski pole everywhere you go, just in order to fight off a mean rooster.

Put the mean rooster in the freezer. Those mean ones taste better. I know it's hard but think how much more fun your chickens will be when you are not getting attacked all the time.

I would eat but when i bought him i was not aware of his aggression and he was $100 so i'm not going to. I'll try flipping holding him by the legs and flipping him upside down.

thanks everyone for your help

That's a shame and very pricey for a GLW rooster. Perhaps the market is different there.
The most I've sold a sole rooster for were a Jaerhon and a Penedesenca I sold for 40 each.
I have sold Pene trios for 250.

I've had a couple aggressive roosters in the past. I think they were both Plymouth Rocks. I gave them 2 chances. Third time was the charm.
I've easily had at least 200 Penedesenca roosters and never an attack but they will attack hawks, etc..
I grew up with chickens but not roosters. In the last several years I've taken on a new approach with them at the outset.
I don't mess with the hens during the day. I don't move quickly around the flocks. I don't walk directly toward them. I give them their space and they give me mine.

He was $100 because he is a very high quality rooster and his offspring has won prizes at one of the biggest chicken shows in australia.

Okay so he's a prize bird..But a bad boy. Know that feel. I have some prize mice who are allowed to stay out of cull land solely because they are irreplaceable in my program at this time.

So you are going to need to think like a chicken. Watch videos of chickens and how a cock tells another bird he's big boy (staring, making them move away by stepping toward them, etc) and you will need to start duplicating it. If he does come after you do not let him off after. I have in the past disciplined naughties by holding them, grabbing the wattle (not hard) to make them look me in the eye until they want to look away and scolding them while carrying them around.

Back
Top Bottom