Aggressive chick=aggressive rooster?

MotherClukr

In the Brooder
May 2, 2023
We currently have four 4.5/5 week old chicks in the brooder. One is a lavender orpington, and we are 90% sure it's a rooster based on comb and waddle development. We cannot keep roosters in our area, so the plan was to rehome him in a few weeks once we are sure it's a rooster. But to add to the situation, this chick is extremely MEAN and aggressive. We've raised chicks before (never had a roo), and we've seen them play and chase each other, but this seems more escalated. It chases, pecks, and jumps on the other chicks constantly, even when unprovoked. One of our other chicks, a salmon faverolle, is definitely a rooster and tries to hold his ground, but he is definitely more of a sweetie and always backs down. It dominates the food and water, chasing the others away or pecking at them. We even moved them to a bigger brooder to give them more space but now it just ends chasing the others. I'm wondering if this behavior in the mean chick could change, or of this is a sign that this will be a mean, aggressive rooster? If the latter, it will surely throw a wrench into our rehoming plan, because I doubt anyone would want him. He could be very aggressive to the hens, fight with other roosters, and may be dangerous to children (this chick already pecks at me when I'm trying to change the feeders). Any insight on this situation is greatly appreciated so we can decide if he can be in a flock, or if we need to surrender him to a place that will raise him for meat to give to the local needy. Thanks!

Well, no, I would not keep him. ALWAYS solve for peace in the flock. It really does not matter if this is a cockerel or a pullet. This bird is not fitting into the flock and coop/run situation which is the reality of your flock.

What size of space are you talking and what number of birds? Some birds can take a bit of over crowding and some cannot tolerate it at all. So send us some measurements and some pictures of this bird. Maybe we can offer some other advice.

But really - this behavior is very hard on the other birds. They are not resting as well, they are not eating as well as they would if this bird was gone.

Pull the bird out, watch your flock. If there is a visible relaxing of the remaining birds, there is your answer. Cull the bird and plant a rosebush.

Mrs K

We currently have four 4.5/5 week old chicks in the brooder. One is a lavender orpington, and we are 90% sure it's a rooster based on comb and waddle development. We cannot keep roosters in our area, so the plan was to rehome him in a few weeks once we are sure it's a rooster. But to add to the situation, this chick is extremely MEAN and aggressive. We've raised chicks before (never had a roo), and we've seen them play and chase each other, but this seems more escalated. It chases, pecks, and jumps on the other chicks constantly, even when unprovoked. One of our other chicks, a salmon faverolle, is definitely a rooster and tries to hold his ground, but he is definitely more of a sweetie and always backs down. It dominates the food and water, chasing the others away or pecking at them. We even moved them to a bigger brooder to give them more space but now it just ends chasing the others. I'm wondering if this behavior in the mean chick could change, or of this is a sign that this will be a mean, aggressive rooster? If the latter, it will surely throw a wrench into our rehoming plan, because I doubt anyone would want him. He could be very aggressive to the hens, fight with other roosters, and may be dangerous to children (this chick already pecks at me when I'm trying to change the feeders). Any insight on this situation is greatly appreciated so we can decide if he can be in a flock, or if we need to surrender him to a place that will raise him for meat to give to the local needy. Thanks!
Mostly I agree with what is being said here, but since orpingtons often have nice roosters and he is so young, I would give him a chance for an attitude adjustment if you have some older larger birds. Toss him in with them and let him come up through the ranks. He will no longer be the top bird of the flock. I've had young cockerels showing their machoness that were either tossed in with the adult laying hens or into the bachelor pad of adult roosters, do a 180 turn around and end up being great flock roosters that were not people aggressive. It's worth a try and if it doesn't work, then you can cull him. (I have zero tolerance for people aggressive roosters. They get a one way ticket out.)

Back
Top Bottom