Aggressive Duck (used to like being held)

Summer_

Quacking
Apr 24, 2022
Indiana
Hello!

when my duck was little it used to like being held and touched by us. Now, if I walk by it with my hands outstretched it will run away. Our other duck is fine. what should I do? Ive tried giving it treats when I get to touch it (rarely). And when it’s in their pool, it’ll panic if I’m close. It’ll jump out if it can.

Hello!

when my duck was little it used to like being held and touched by us. Now, if I walk by it with my hands outstretched it will run away. Our other duck is fine. what should I do? Ive tried giving it treats when I get to touch it (rarely). And when it’s in their pool, it’ll panic if I’m close. It’ll jump out if it can.
Is it female by chance ?
My boys still let me hold them but my girls run
I also find sitting or kneeling down to give treats help
If I’m standing tall they all get scared

Hello! Sorry for such a late reply! I think it is a female, but Even when I sit or kneel she decides that I’m trying to end her

Lots of ducks don't like touching, even if they've been handled a lot as babies. I think that's normal. I have a little buff who did snuggle on my lap when she was in the brooder for the first 8 weeks, but jumps away if I ever try to touch her now. She will come up and peck on me, but hates for me to touch her, grab her, or try to catch her. I try to respect that and leave her be, still spending time just sitting near her, which she seems to like. Also offering treats which she loves and will come to me for. Ducks aren't like dogs or cats and it's good to have reasonable expectations and enjoy the amazing qualities that are true to their nature!

Hello!

why does your title say aggressive? Sounds like she's being a normal duck, doesn't sound aggressive at all-
how old is she?

I agree with CoriM, some are more friendly than others. If you want her to be more comfortable around you, you could try spending more time with her, treats can be helpful. Be patient
Ducks aren't like dogs or cats and it's good to have reasonable expectations and enjoy the amazing qualities that are true to their nature!

:goodpost:

I had the same problem with my cayuga, she used to hug me, I would take her into my lap and she would lay her head on my shoulder. If she was sitting sideways on my lap, she would adjust her position specifically to hug me, this was normal for her even when she was 3 yrs old. One day a raccoon got in the yard and attacked one of the other ducks (I had 3 ducks) and the whole world changed, the cayuga became aggressive, she would bite me to the point of breaking skin, she behaved exactly as you describe, running away, couldn't touch her, etc. that has continued for the last 2 yrs. A couple of months ago the duck that had been attacked passed away from other issues not related to the attack. Ever since that duck passed, my cayuga has been much better, she still doesn't hug me and she doesn't like to be picked up or caught but will allow it. I can only assume that she was behaving aggressively for those years in effort to protect the one that had been attacked and now she doesn't need to do that. Is the duck that you are talking about the "leader" of the flock? She may be protecting the flock. You may never get your cuddly duck back and trust me, I understand how disappointing it is but I don't feel it is that abnormal. Hang in there and just keep being quiet and gentle around her, offer treats from your hand. Move slowly around her etc. She could come around but I don't think you should expect it. Sometimes it's just how ducks are.

why does your title say aggressive? Sounds like she's being a normal duck, doesn't sound aggressive at all-
how old is she?

I agree with CoriM, some are more friendly than others. If you want her to be more comfortable around you, you could try spending more time with her, treats can be helpful. Be patient

:goodpost:
I say aggressive because she’ll THROW herself at me to peck at me sometimes :p

I had the same problem with my cayuga, she used to hug me, I would take her into my lap and she would lay her head on my shoulder. If she was sitting sideways on my lap, she would adjust her position specifically to hug me, this was normal for her even when she was 3 yrs old. One day a raccoon got in the yard and attacked one of the other ducks (I had 3 ducks) and the whole world changed, the cayuga became aggressive, she would bite me to the point of breaking skin, she behaved exactly as you describe, running away, couldn't touch her, etc. that has continued for the last 2 yrs. A couple of months ago the duck that had been attacked passed away from other issues not related to the attack. Ever since that duck passed, my cayuga has been much better, she still doesn't hug me and she doesn't like to be picked up or caught but will allow it. I can only assume that she was behaving aggressively for those years in effort to protect the one that had been attacked and now she doesn't need to do that. Is the duck that you are talking about the "leader" of the flock? She may be protecting the flock. You may never get your cuddly duck back and trust me, I understand how disappointing it is but I don't feel it is that abnormal. Hang in there and just keep being quiet and gentle around her, offer treats from your hand. Move slowly around her etc. She could come around but I don't think you should expect it. Sometimes it's just how ducks are.
do two ducks count as a flock? I think she is the leader of the other duck :) she is either a dark campbell or a Cayuga. Has the Campbell brown black feathers but a green head and specks of green on tail

I say aggressive because she’ll THROW herself at me to peck at me sometimes :p
Sometimes when ducks get a little scared or excited about something they do this weird thing where they start kind of shaking their heads, and make a little charge at you. Mine do this when they're nervous, and other times when I have no idea why. Just be patient and calm around her and try to go off of her cues.

Back
Top Bottom