Aggressive hen

onwingandhoof

Songster
Apr 17, 2020
A moment ago

I have an aggressive hen that lost her female friend. We've tried to introduce a new hen to her, but shes viciously attacks without stopping. I'd like any advice about how to retrain her. I'm considering introducing her to an established flock for a week or so then bringing her back home. I know she thinks shes the boss and we've ruined her by allowing her to run without a rooster to keep her in check. But our ordinance doesn't allow roosters.

I have an aggressive hen that lost her female friend. We've tried to introduce a new hen to her, but shes viciously attacks without stopping.
How did you introduce the new hen? Did you have some sort of barrier between the 2 so they could see each other but not touch, or did you just toss her in? If you just put the new one in unexpectedly your hen's reaction is completely normal. The new hen is a stranger, and chickens don't like strangers. They will attack newcomers.

I'm considering introducing her to an established flock for a week or so then bringing her back home.
That would be a bad idea, for the above reason. The established flock will attack her, and there's a good chance they would kill her.

I know she thinks shes the boss and we've ruined her by allowing her to run without a rooster to keep her in check. But our ordinance doesn't allow roosters.
She is not ruined because she didn't have a "rooster to keep her in check". Hen only flocks manage just fine. There is always going to be a top hen in every flock.

How did you introduce the new hen? Did you have some sort of barrier between the 2 so they could see each other but not touch, or did you just toss her in? If you just put the new one in unexpectedly your hen's reaction is completely normal. The new hen is a stranger, and chickens don't like strangers. They will attack newcomers.

That would be a bad idea, for the above reason. The established flock will attack her, and there's a good chance they would kill her.

She is not ruined because she didn't have a "rooster to keep her in check". Hen only flocks manage just fine. There is always going to be a top hen in every flock.
We introduced her by keeping a her in a wire dog kennel and allowing Bertha, our hen to see her. But she tries to visiously attack her through the wire. So we created a second barrier, so Bertha couldn't reach through the wire to bite her. So far it's been about two weeks and Bertha still puffs up, hisses and lowers her head and charges the new hen, Lana. Lana does not defend herself, but turns away.

Back
Top Bottom