Aggressive pecking

Do a google search. Hens get up to 10 lbs. As for the coop, your current coop's footprint is just too small. You can keep it as an isolation pen for a sick chicken, but you need to start over for a main coop. You will need something with at least 20 sq. ft. of floor space. Prefab coops are cute, but they are expensive, and always overestimate their capacity. Go to the hardware store with some basic measurements. They will cut all of your materials for you, all you need to do is screw them together. It might be a bit more hassle and not looks quite as cute, but it will be a better quality structure and your chickens will stop trying to kill each other from overcrowding stress.

I just looked up Faverolle breed and they seem like a good breed. I also looked up images of them and it is spot on salmon colored faverolle! But as chicks they are almost identical looking to the golden sex link so I can see how they would get mixed up. One of them dose not have the beard, feathered legs, and comb. So she is prob the only real golden sex link. When I got the coop, Ii got it for the goldens because their breed dose not get bigger than a 6 pound bird. But now that I know these beauty's can be up to ten pounds, I will have to start making a larger coop. I hope this all works out thank you all for your help, very much appreciated

Favorelles tend to be very sweet, and can be bullied a bit by other birds (like sex links).. You might want to ask what hatchery the feed store uses, and then see what breeds they carry. You definitely need a bigger coop and run! I have about five sq. ft. of space in my coop per bird, including many bantams, and it can get tight in there when there's snow. Mary

Do a google search. Hens get up to 10 lbs. As for the coop, your current coop's footprint is just too small. You can keep it as an isolation pen for a sick chicken, but you need to start over for a main coop. You will need something with at least 20 sq. ft. of floor space. Prefab coops are cute, but they are expensive, and always overestimate their capacity. Go to the hardware store with some basic measurements. They will cut all of your materials for you, all you need to do is screw them together. It might be a bit more hassle and not looks quite as cute, but it will be a better quality structure and your chickens will stop trying to kill each other from overcrowding stress.
Hatchery Faverolles will never get close to 10 lbs. I have 2 and they are half the size of my breeder Faverolles, probably 4-5 lbs. However you are correct about the coop. It is much too small for 4 hens.

I just looked up Faverolle breed and they seem like a good breed. I also looked up images of them and it is spot on salmon colored faverolle! But as chicks they are almost identical looking to the golden sex link so I can see how they would get mixed up. One of them dose not have the beard, feathered legs, and comb. So she is prob the only real golden sex link. When I got the coop, Ii got it for the goldens because their breed dose not get bigger than a 6 pound bird. But now that I know these beauty's can be up to ten pounds, I will have to start making a larger coop. I hope this all works out thank you all for your help, very much appreciated
The feed store shouldn't have mistaken Faverolles for red sex links. One breed has yellow chicks with fluffy cheeks, feathered legs and 5 toes. The other is red colored.

Now that I see what your coop looks like I can say you should expand it. I have a small coop (4x6) and only 4 bantam hens live in that. The main coop is 6x12 and I keep 8 hens in that.

Back
Top Bottom