Aggressive pullet

jody78

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 21, 2012
I brought my flock in to the brooder tonight after being outside for almost a half hr. Immediately, one of the chicks became aggressive with the rest of the flock. The feathers on her neck stood up, she stood still and made growling sounds. Is this the start of determining the pecking order, or was she just being plain mean? She isn't doing it now. My husband picked her up twice and held her upside down like you would a roo, but it didn't work… Please help?

Last edited:
I have a cochin frizzle chick (that's a boy :3 ) that flies at other chicks and jumps on them and things. I think after observing him for a while now that he was just establishing the pecking order. Just my guess!
yippiechickie.gif

I think it's a pecking order thing too. Sometimes one of my hens will snap at the others, feathers on neck standing up. Sometimes they even do that with my shoe, which they obviously think is a threat. :lol:

Several of mine are trying to be top chick. They chest bump and stretch their necks, and do the zooming/chicken bowling thing but they don't hurt each other.

Back
Top Bottom