Aggressive ram attacking! Story and what should I do?’

kaythlin

Chirping
Oct 28, 2017
Okay so I think this is something I’ve been dealing with for a few months now. My ram has gotten too aggressive. His name is Rambo and I’ve had him since he was 2 days old (he was given to me by a farmer that no longer wanted him since he was rejected by his mom). He is my absolute favorite ever, I love him to death and he looks like he would be sweet since he has these huge eyes.
and he was so sweet until starting a couple of months ago. All of a sudden he is just aggressive and has hurt several of my family members when visiting. He gets extra aggressive when he sees chicken food he does ANYTHING to get it. I usually assertively say NO when I see him backing up to charge and I lift my foot to scare him. And it works for a few minutes and I have to consecutively do it. But he never even tries to really hit me
But today the worst thing happened! I was going to feed the chickens and he just really wanted some and I kept saying no! Stop. And he just backed up and jumped and hit me incredibly hard, I almost stumbled to the ground.
and did this maybe 2 more times and I struggled to get him away
he’s backed up and “pretended” to attack me several times in the past to no real harm.
I yelled as he nearly dropped me I grabbed his horns and held him. Just as I thought that was it, i went to get the chicken food bowl.. he strikes again! And harder. I scream once more and i wasn’t sure if to cry or to be angry but as he hit me he cracked the very hard plastic bowl and the food went everywhere of course all the other goats and sheep started eating the corn and as he tried to eat, I striked him several times with the corner of my phone on the nose and he barley even noticed (I read that hitting them in the nose makes them stop or is a good way to make them stop) but he didn’t. I grabbed his horns and dragged him to the pole and tied him.
For size reference he’s easily a 250 pound Jacob mix sheep.

Anyways he hurt me pretty bad and my fingers hurt even more from holding him back but what hurt most of all was that I’d never think he would actually purposely hurt me.
When I tied him I said “NO RAMBO” and I sprayed him with the hose, just a little spritz to let him know it was not okay. He just looked at me not bothered at all and ignored me.

Well now I have bruised fingers, sore legs, a broken bowl and a realization that he is not how I thought he was.

Have you guys ever been attacked by your ram? How did you deal with it ?
here’s him as a baby and then him now
E3EAA155-4B86-40CA-AC8A-D5A79AC21E89.jpeg
F5B78771-7BD7-4BF1-9F1C-77F5DFAE3758.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm glad you are still alive!!!
Rams, boars, bulls, and stallions are NOT the same as their castrated male brethren, and you've just experienced it, and survived without a hospital trip.
At this point, castrating him might not fix his behavior, although that would be appropriate soonest, if you plan on trying to keep him at all.
Safest would be sending him far away, with full disclosure.
Mary

I'm afraid to say that dealing with an aggressive ram is highly dangerous and definitely not something I'd let my own kids do. In fact, I wouldn't attempt it myself without someone standing on the other side of the fence, ready to save me, AND my dog.

Rambo needs to go, now, before he kills you - and he CAN kill you.

From now on, never keep a bottle baby as an intact male. Ever.

Rams are called rams for a reason. That is what they do. I am assuming he was bottle fed and that makes the problem so much worse. You essentially have two choices. You can get rid of the ram, and that is what I suggest. If he is an outstanding and very valuable sire, you can confine him in such a way that neither you nor anyone else ever has to get in the pen with him. That is how people manage dairy bulls. I have a friend who breeds high quality top dollar Southdown sheep. Some of his rams are not safe to be around so he has fixed things up so no one ever has to go in the pen with the ram loose.

I'm afraid to say that dealing with an aggressive ram is highly dangerous and definitely not something I'd let my own kids do. In fact, I wouldn't attempt it myself without someone standing on the other side of the fence, ready to save me, AND my dog.

Rambo needs to go, now, before he kills you - and he CAN kill you.

From now on, never keep a bottle baby as an intact male. Ever.

Thanks for the feedback.

as of getting rid of him never. I think we may just have to get him a stronger pen and possibly just try again with him. Since he has really never done that (but with a lot more precautions). Again thank you for the help.

Rams are called rams for a reason. That is what they do. I am assuming he was bottle fed and that makes the problem so much worse. You essentially have two choices. You can get rid of the ram, and that is what I suggest. If he is an outstanding and very valuable sire, you can confine him in such a way that neither you nor anyone else ever has to get in the pen with him. That is how people manage dairy bulls. I have a friend who breeds high quality top dollar Southdown sheep. Some of his rams are not safe to be around so he has fixed things up so no one ever has to go in the pen with the ram loose.
Thank you. It’s actually exactly what we are thinking on doing. Castrating is unfortunately not an option as he is our only breeding ram and has great genetics.
I think we will try the pen.
Thanks again for the help :)

Well, I'm glad you are still alive!!!
Rams, boars, bulls, and stallions are NOT the same as their castrated male brethren, and you've just experienced it, and survived without a hospital trip.
At this point, castrating him might not fix his behavior, although that would be appropriate soonest, if you plan on trying to keep him at all.
Safest would be sending him far away, with full disclosure.
Mary

hello thank you so much for the help. Cassie’s idea really helped and I think that’s what we are going to do.

we can’t afford to let him go as he is a great breeder with great genetics. But again thank you!

I'm sorry your ram has become aggressive. But the others are correct. Castrating early on is the only thing that stops this. I had a goat I bottle fed, and before I was going to castrate him he became unapproachable. He would run and hit me repeatedly to get food, or just because he could. I had to sell him. You have to think about your safety and everyone else who has contact with him. Even though a ram may seem relatively small, he can seriously injure you or trap you against a fence.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom