Aggressive Rooster

fl.gif
So far, so good. I just came back in after confronting my CCL roo. He seemed to be avoiding me, but then he suddenly decided to brazen it out. I kept pushing his head down with the bamboo cane but he kept wiggling backwards and getting out, so I finally got him down with the cane, and then got him by the scruff and the back and put him into a submissive position and held him there for a minute or two. I made sure that I kept his head down on the ground and the rest of his body was down as well. When I let him up, I continued to walk purposefully at him so that he was trying to avoid me.

I think that this will work.

Thank you!

I see your points, and will attempt to implement when possible. This may sound weird, but none of the chickens use the custom built coop--except for laying eggs, and the lowest of the pecking order at night. I don't lock them inside, as it seems to make the roo cranky, and I've predator proofed the exterior, so they are safe. ( The coop includes a fenced in area with a roost which they all prefer to hang on at night, not inside the actual closed in coop. Weird. Anyway, thanks for the tips. Now, I'm looking for a good switch! I've been using a squirt bottle which has helped tremendously but I only use it if he's coming at me or giving me 'the eye'. Normally, when he sees that squirt bottle, he shies away and we are good. Any ideas on getting them INSIDE this special coop? The ramp to the inside has an opening, but nothing to close it. Those silly birds will sit on the fenced, outside area of the coop even when it's cold. Only the lowest go inside. <sigh>. I try to not worry about that, but cannot help it when it's really cold, which doesn't happen often here in Central Texas. Thanks for any ideas!

I see your points, and will attempt to implement when possible. This may sound weird, but none of the chickens use the custom built coop--except for laying eggs, and the lowest of the pecking order at night. I don't lock them inside, as it seems to make the roo cranky, and I've predator proofed the exterior, so they are safe. ( The coop includes a fenced in area with a roost which they all prefer to hang on at night, not inside the actual closed in coop. Weird. Anyway, thanks for the tips. Now, I'm looking for a good switch! I've been using a squirt bottle which has helped tremendously but I only use it if he's coming at me or giving me 'the eye'. Normally, when he sees that squirt bottle, he shies away and we are good. Any ideas on getting them INSIDE this special coop? The ramp to the inside has an opening, but nothing to close it. Those silly birds will sit on the fenced, outside area of the coop even when it's cold. Only the lowest go inside. . I try to not worry about that, but cannot help it when it's really cold, which doesn't happen often here in Central Texas. Thanks for any ideas!
Is it a smaller coop? They can be too stuffy for chickens to want to be in. For me here in Wisconsin, really cold is -20's with -40's wind chills. I still have a big open doorway that faces east for ventilation. So I assume you could isn't really that cold.

The rooster stories are interesting. Have not had a lot of trouble with my two.... but I always carry a long stick or something similar to ward off unexpected attacks. I have found that my two usually expect something when they see me coming. If I produce a small treat they are as happy as can be... but sometimes when I don't they can get testy. I use the stick to just push them away. Or I put the stick between me and the roo if I am working or bending over to avoid attacks. They respect the "stick."

The best advice I have heard was a woman on BYC who said she had 1000 acres and 10 of them were in chickens. She chose the best Roos and kept them away from hens until they were at least one year. Then she choose the best. She felt that young roosters were too aggressive and mean to be around hens until they had matured a bit.

Granted most of us do not have the luxury of a special place for a maturing roo or Roos, unfortunately. But her story taught me a lot.

I do agree with those that say.... don't make a pet out of your roo. Just let him respectfully know you are the real boss and give him space and don't hesitate to squirt him with the hose occasionally when you feel he is being too hard on a hen.
1f609.png
Roosters are beautiful.

I started off 5 years ago not planning to have a rooster. But here I am with 2 adults and one 7 week old roo that I probably should rehome. if I can find a great home.

Following. We have 1 roo out of 6 chicks. All grew up together. He is just starting to chase the girls, tries to hop on their backs as they run away. So hilarious!

So far he avoids me except for treats but I know those hormones are going to take over.

I was born in the year of the rooster, maybe that's why people at work think I'm mean

No, this coop is larger, by quite a bit. I wanted to have one of the hens go broody and hatch a few babies which I would eventually move into the larger coop. OR maybe move the other group to the smaller area with the smaller coop? Maybe the newbies would use the inside coop? Very frustrating as I had it custom made. Ugh.

Ok, here's an issue. The coop is only used at night, the rest of the time they roam the chicken run. THAT'S where he's aggressive. Can I use the same technique in the run? Yesterday, I separated 2 hens (his favorites) because he was either beating them up, or massively mating. He's hurt on (neither have feathers on their backs), and I think he hurt her because he's so large and vicious in his mating. She's been limping. After 2 weeks of separation--they are only separated by fencing--but she seemed better so I let those 2 back into the flock. He went right after them both and now the limper is limping again.
I can try the stick trick while in the run, but truly they only go into the fenced area of the coop, which has a roost and do not use the inside, other than the nesting boxes. Ideas?

The last time I had a rooster that was so nasty with the hens .... he went in the freezer (no joke) It would be best if you could isolate him for about a year. I just can't stand to roosters brutalize the sweet hens.

Hmmm, I know I couldn't personally kill him myself, I'm just not wired that way. I will try separating (have done so before) but he really only hits on these 2 for some reason. Until I can find a suitable long stick, I'll continue to use the water bottle. Seems to be working, for now at least. He's not mean to the 2 hens, per se, he's just SO HUGE I think he hurt the one just by jumping on her. I did put a hen saddle on her but it's getting too warm here to keep in on much longer. Why can't we all just get along?? Oh, and thanks for your advice!

Back
Top Bottom