Aggressive rooster

Jenn1018

Songster
Apr 15, 2019
Snellville, Georgia
I had to quarantine a hen in the house for about one month and when I put her back in the yard my rooster wants to kill her. This is not a mating behavior, it’s vicious. I have had her separated in a fenced yard where he can see her and she’s been there for about two weeks but I’m bringing her inside at night because I’m afraid to leave her alone in the coop with him. I really want to get her back in the coop but every time I let her into the big yard with him he goes after her. I have 11 other girls and he’s very good and gentle with them. I don’t know how to integrate her back. The girls have no problem with her.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Separating a bird from the flock, causes a lot of problems as you are experiencing.

You could try, adding a hen to her in the segregated area. There will probably be a dust up, but it will be one on one. When they settle down, after a week, add another pair. If your separation area is too small, put the Rooster and a couple of girls in the smaller area. And the others in the bigger spot.

Or you can let this bird go. A lot depends on your set up, but always solve for peace in the flock.

Mrs K

Thanks Mrs. K. I can’t let her go, as I am terrified he will actually kill her. A couple girls fly into “her” yard and sometimes he will follow them and immediately goes after Lexi. I have to shoo him out. The other girls don’t bother her at all and I leave them in the yard with her as they choose to come in or out by flying over the fence. He’s 1 year old and she’s 7. So she’s been around way longer than he has!!

You might try penning him up for a week or so, where he can see all the girls together, but can't get to them. Then after a week or so, re-introduce him. If he continues with his nasty behavior towards her, then get rid of him, and get another rooster.

I think she may have meant rehoming her. Although with her age, that might not be an option. I would separate the Roo out personally and drop him back to the bottom of the pecking order. If you know which ones out of your hens are the more easygoing maybe you can put her with one or two for a weeks as mrs K suggested.

Euphanisms ugh! I did mean to cull her from your flock. Not let her go in with the other birds. I was trying to be politically tactful, and just confused you.

Well the third option it to remove the rooster.... roosters ruin the whole chicken experience for a lot of people, and I think he is ruining your enjoyment of this hobby. At one time, I would have quibbled, but with time and experience I no longer do so, I decide and do it. I used to wait, and dither and stress, and wait, and worry and finally remove him, only to have a wonderful flock again, peace in the flock, something I enjoyed.

Once you remove him, you will wonder why you waited. However, there is a theory, that sometimes a rooster will be able to sense an illness in a hen, and will drive her off supposedly to protect the flock. Or to be honest, a 7 year old hen, has got to be close enough to her natural end, or at least be able to see it from here.

Animal husbandry is tough, but what is tough is worrying about it, roosters are relatively easy to replace.

MRs K

Goldie

Attachments

• 4F78D6EB-5A2F-4BB6-B97E-F5FB8E87C1B0.gif
    4F78D6EB-5A2F-4BB6-B97E-F5FB8E87C1B0.gif
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
Below are two videos of same rooster. He was treated in a manner some suggest can be used to keep the rooster in line, before he started showing the aggression. Then I tried carrying him around as well as punishment, which did not work. Nor did physically holding him down do anything to change the behavior. What seemed to be core to his continuing behavior was my responding to him. I could throw similar shoes on ground and he would whoop on them for a while before loosing interest because they would not respond. He did not have issues with naked feet.

The behavior did not appear to have a strongly heritable component because offspring I got from him a year later were good natured. The behavior did not make him a better protector of his girls, rather it make him a pain in the butt when I wore those shoes.

Back
Top Bottom