Aggressive Rooster

Quote:
i just said cull.. or lock up/keep away from kids. because... well. its a kid. wouldn't "test" it to see if he'll do it again. now if they attacked me. i give them 3 strikes before their "out" and even then. i dont like to kill them (mainly because i have bantams... wouldn't be worth eating. and would be a waste of money to kill and let rot). so if they "turn mean" i try to calm them down etc. if that doesn't work. Selling to someone else who doesn't mind lol

-Daniel

there isnt,, but it needs to KNOW what he did was wrong,, and telling him that is not how you tell a roo he is wrong. NO roo is worth a kid being hurt,, but if it doesnt know what he did was wrong,, who's fault is that? ,, i dont mind culling,, in fact i LOVE it,, my kids love fresh chicken,, but its just morally wrong to use that as an excuse if it hasnt been taught the right thing to do.,,, it all goes back to the "puppy".

Your right I would not get rid of a puppy the first time he snipped or growled at one of my kids. Mind you that pup would know the snipping, biting or growling behavior would not be tolerated, period.
The pup is much smarter than the rooster and can be easily trained and shown who in the family is higher in the pack than he is.
That rooster and those flying spurs scare me.
Not too long ago (think I mentioned it here) I had a rooster threaten me (head down, neck feathers out etc. etc. etc.) well he went flying across the run and it wasn't his idea either
wink.png
I havn't had a bit a problem with him since but I am 6' 2 and 225 pounds, my daughter is 3' 5" (approx) and dainty.

why not test it?
put the adult inside the pen, and have the child walk up to the pen FROM THE OUTSIDE and if the roo goes to try to attack her,, the adult needs to kick the crap outta the roo,, after doing that 5 or 6 times,, i bet the roo RUNS when he sees the child.
and i wasnt pointing you out DT i thought what you said was right. soooo ?

Quote:
outside of the pen may be a bit hard to test though, some roosters wont attack through wire (i have a few.. that like to "fight" the hens running on the yard through wire over feed.. but wont actually do anything unless in the pen with them or their outside). and works the same way with people/dogs

Quote:
NO ONE should have ANY animal their afraid of,,,,,and im not sure on the dog being that much smarter then chickens,, ive seen some pretty stupid dogs
lol.png
,, and birds have the SAME pack hierarchy as dogs,,,they (all animals) must be shown who is boss ,, theres just different ways,,, dogs, you push their heads down with your head,, that means YOU are top dog,,, roo's ,, chase them till you catch them,, be rough with them, and any sign of them wanting to go "up the ladder" you put them on the bottom rung,,,,called the pecking order.

Quote:
NO ONE should have ANY animal their afraid of,,,,,and im not sure on the dog being that much smarter then chickens,,
ive seen some pretty stupid dogs
lol.png

,, and birds have the SAME pack hierarchy as dogs,,,they (all animals) must be shown who is boss ,, theres just different ways,,, dogs, you push their heads down with your head,, that means YOU are top dog,,, roo's ,, chase them till you catch them,, be rough with them, and any sign of them wanting to go "up the ladder" you put them on the bottom rung,,,,called the pecking order.​

Tell me about it, living with one now.

Our crazy roo continues to challenge even my husband and I even after he has been booted for attacking my foot, chased down and had a good shake from hubby. Smacked with a stick by my daughter a few times. He just keeps chasing us as we are walking away from him and doesn't stop. We have 13 roosters right now and have to cull the extras anyways so he is on the cull list. Tried to find homes for the extras and no one wants them so.......... As a Mom I am a real momma bear and maybe jump to their protection a little quickly but that is a mom thing. All excellent points by everyone on this thread.

My rooster is mean only to my dad and my dog.. But when i go up to him he does his lil dance then i just pick him up. Maybe if your kid isn't to young give her/him treats to give to the roo. It always seens to help my dad from getting jumped on.

Back
Top Bottom