Aggressive Rooster

I am having a similar issue with my 4 moth old roo. He has drawn blood from my hands 3 times and he is very aggressive against my 3 girls, pulling batches of feathers from the back of their necks. I am a first time chicken raiser and I assume he's learning how to mate. I will do everything I can not to kill him but I'm not Sure I will deal with this for the long run. I will wait till he's mature before I take that corse of action. Also, I see him take a different stance when he's about to atack me so I proceed to clap my hands and making a ch-ch-ch-ch sound from a distance that seems to work but then I walk away, not challanging him. So far so good. Good luck.

That's a very young age for him to be attacking you. When he pulls feathers out, is it because he's falling off the hen or she's pulling away, or is he the one pulling? If he's pulling them out deliberately, I'd cull. But then again I'd already cull him because he's attacking a human. Sorry, but I believe you'll regret keeping him if you do so.

They're not the utterly stupid animals some people reckon they are, they can discern perfectly fine between the humans that tend them and the wild animals that attack them. They can discern between tame and feral dogs, tame and feral cats etc just from body language alone, even with no previous experience with that individual predator... At no point does a domestic animal need to harm a human to prove it will protect against wild animals, lol, we're not the same thing in their minds.

I truly wonder why some people keep domestic poultry at all since domestic traits seems to be abhorrent to them and they're working to undo thousands of years of careful selection to procure exactly that domesticity, by breeding human-aversion back into them.

roll.png

There's a great chance this rooster could do you or your hens serious, permanent harm or even kill you or someone else (toddlers are their usual victims among humans). Have you ever seen a rooster attack a child? In a matter of a few seconds he can have done irreparable, fatal harm to them, before anyone can intervene; they can also jump to an adult's head height and stab or slash multiple times per second with both spurs. Many prefer to attack from behind, because roosters who attack humans are almost always cowards and bullies. Same as roosters who harm hens or chicks.

Now you're probably thinking something like: "well, I don't have kids"/"I don't allow kids unsupervised around them" or "but he's caged", etc... but please bear in mind the long term consequences of your keeping him. Aggression is a strongly heritable trait, along with the triggers for that aggression and the preferred method of carrying it out; he can pass on his genetics many hundreds of times in his life, even thousands of times; even those sons and daughters who seem tame are carrying his traits, and they can (and do) emerge without warning.

Whoever keeps and breeds such violent human-attackers isn't ever going to be able to track their animals' descendants comprehensively or ensure that before they die, they've wrapped up their flock's malignant little genepool so it never leaks out and pollutes better, peaceful ones.

Especially because people who breed chooks that attack people believe it's a good trait, as evidenced by some here; now, I understand that point of view, but the potential ramifications of it I believe render it unjustifiable.

Imagine being responsible for breeding an animal that kills a child. Talk about a terrible legacy. That's exactly the sort of thing you are potentially doing every time you decide to keep a human-aggressive rooster; they're potentially lethally dangerous livestock and should be considered just the same as a dog that mauls. Socially unacceptable to keep and reproduce.

The responsibility for controlling your violent animals, preventing them from harming others, depends in part on you not propagating their genetics. Unfortunately some people are not socially responsible when it comes to animals demonstrating desire and having capacity to be killers.

I wouldn't waste the resources on him. A decent rooster who treats humans and hens with respect could be taking his place; instead roosters are killed for want of a good home while people persist with pieces of fecal matter who brutalize animals and people they have no justification for harming. A good rooster will defend hens without harming people, it's a false correlation to think that he's got to be an out of control psychopath who specializes in bullying in order to also be a good rooster.

Best wishes with him.

I am having a similar issue with my Roo. I have 2 ducks (one of each gender), 4 hens, and 1 roo. He was never aggressive towards me, but my roommate went into the run one day and he met her at the door, jumping at her. She kicked at him when he jumped at her and eventually he backed off. He was probably around 5 months at that point. This week, he started doing the same thing to me (he's around 6 months now). When I go into the coop to get the duck egg in the morning, he stands in the doorway and tries to block my exit, pecking at my feet. Any time I reach out to a hen, he pecks/bites my hand. This week, he finally went too far. I reached out to pick up one of the hens and he flared up and jumped at me. We had a standoff for a few minutes where he jumped at me and I kicked him away. Finally he backed off and wouldn't come near me. Today, however, he was raring to go first thing this morning and we had to have another standoff.

Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this issue without having to cull him? I don't have children, but I do have two nieces who come over and who want to play with the chickens. While I can keep the roo in the run and let the girls and ducks roam, I don't want the roo to have to live a bad life where he is automatically pegged as aggressive.

I am having a similar issue with my Roo. I have 2 ducks (one of each gender), 4 hens, and 1 roo. He was never aggressive towards me, but my roommate went into the run one day and he met her at the door, jumping at her. She kicked at him when he jumped at her and eventually he backed off. He was probably around 5 months at that point. This week, he started doing the same thing to me (he's around 6 months now). When I go into the coop to get the duck egg in the morning, he stands in the doorway and tries to block my exit, pecking at my feet. Any time I reach out to a hen, he pecks/bites my hand. This week, he finally went too far. I reached out to pick up one of the hens and he flared up and jumped at me. We had a standoff for a few minutes where he jumped at me and I kicked him away. Finally he backed off and wouldn't come near me. Today, however, he was raring to go first thing this morning and we had to have another standoff.

Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this issue without having to cull him? I don't have children, but I do have two nieces who come over and who want to play with the chickens. While I can keep the roo in the run and let the girls and ducks roam, I don't want the roo to have to live a bad life where he is automatically pegged as aggressive.

If you've read this thread through, then you've already read all the advice that is available. Sorry, but it really is that hopeless.

Same with any other 'my rooster is violent' or 'aggressive' or similar threads. It is all the same advice, repeated over and over again in every thread.

Some say cull, some say brutalize the animal into submission, some say things like catch him and carry him around and act like alpha rooster etc, but so far, nobody's said they've reliably reformed a chicken that was aggressive in the long run. Well, there is one guy who reckons after 10 years he got one violent hen to stop flogging his face. But her chicks do the same, so really not a true solution to aggressive chickens there. And really, how do we know she didn't stop just because she was so ancient, about the chicken equivalent of 100 years old? lol.

Everyone with minor short term successes tends to enthusiastically claim their chicken was cured after a week of no repeated attacks, but after a month... No followup, or they end up admitting he 'relapsed' and they culled him or rehomed him to someone who would.

Whether or not an aggressive animal which is 'automatically pegged as aggressive' (which is kind of calling a spade a spade, lol) has to live a 'bad life' is entirely in your hands. He can live a good life. In a cage. Or running free, harming whatever he pleases whenever he pleases. Which, sorry to be so blunt, is socially irresponsible to allow as long as any other animal or human besides yourself and that rooster are in danger of being attacked by him, not to mention as an automatic steward of the genetics currently under your control, it's irresponsible to future generations if you breed him and don't cull all offspring; in which case it's still a waste of the genetics of the hens whose lives and genetic values are wasted on him. It's a no-win situation.

Preferable to waste a flock of bully/cannibal/killer hens on a rooster like that I guess, but really, not good to waste resources on either lot, thereby denying the resources to better animals of their genders/species.

But, these are hard decision for newbies or softer hearted people to make (at least, until things get too vicious, when most people suddenly discover a very 'practical' side they previously didn't know they had) --- so, each to their own, and I wish you every success with reforming him, but completely doubt that you will. Don't let that dissuade you from trying, the quickest way to get from trying to rehabilitate them to joining the 'cull brigade' is, after all, simply trying to rehabilitate them. Once you've tried everything you can, like we did, you'll end up like us, chances are, giving the advice to cull rather than attempt rehab. Might take you a few years, but watching lives and healthy bodies be disfigured and destroyed because of an animal you choose to keep gets really old really fast.

Best wishes.

I just read through this thread. My Great Grandmother had a turkey she loved that decided it didn't care for my Dad. He was four at the time. Every time he went outside the turkey would try to flog him. They were trying to back the turkey down each time and teach it to be less aggressive. To bad they waited to cull. My Dad carried the scares on his face for life. IMOH, whether chicken, turkey, dog or other pet aggression toward people should not be tolerated.

Last edited:
Thank you Chooks, I appreciate the straight-forward answer. I am certainly not against culling the roo because I may as well eat him if I can't get eggs from him. My fiancee wanted to breed him and see how offspring from our roo (EE) plus our different breeds of pullets would look. I don't really want to deal with an aggressive bird for years, though, especially if it is genetic. I have read various solutions to prove yourself "alpha," I just wanted to know if there was any way to reform him. Now that I feel confident that there is not, I reckon I will have a chat with the fiancee and see if I can convince that culling him is best.

This week, he finally went too far. I reached out to pick up one of the hens and he flared up and jumped at me. We had a standoff for a few minutes where he jumped at me and I kicked him away. Finally he backed off and wouldn't come near me. Today, however, he was raring to go first thing this morning and we had to have another standoff.

Acting like a rooster in response to a rooster acting like a rooster to get a rooster to not act like a rooster is never going to work.

You don't want to be the alpha rooster. You want to not be a rooster.

Last edited:
Thank you Chooks, I appreciate the straight-forward answer. I am certainly not against culling the roo because I may as well eat him if I can't get eggs from him. My fiancee wanted to breed him and see how offspring from our roo (EE) plus our different breeds of pullets would look. I don't really want to deal with an aggressive bird for years, though, especially if it is genetic. I have read various solutions to prove yourself "alpha," I just wanted to know if there was any way to reform him. Now that I feel confident that there is not, I reckon I will have a chat with the fiancee and see if I can convince that culling him is best.

Thank you for taking it sensibly, not personally, I was hoping not to offend but it's a sensitive issue to discuss and leaves much room to cause offense, whatever the intent. Especially because, like with any other aggressive animal, people have strong sentiments about it.

Good luck with the chat --- may help to arm yourself with videos of roosters attacking people; I still recall having seen a rooster (not one of mine) maul a toddler, in mere seconds permanent and disfiguring damage was done to the child's face; they are indeed the primary victims of aggressive roosters, turkeys etc even though they sometimes do serious damage to adults. People often think rooster attacks look funny until they are on the receiving end and realize exactly how much sheer bludgeoning force those drumsticks can pack.

To be honest I'd think a kid is safer being mauled by a chihuahua than a rooster, or at the very least the level of harm is comparable. In no case does the smallness of the attacking animal make it okay, or funny, not in practice. Quite often a rooster will do a degree of damage more comparable to a much larger dog. Small they may be, but perfectly capable of maiming and killing nonetheless.

Best wishes.

Acting like a rooster in response to a rooster acting like a rooster to get a rooster to not act like a rooster is never going to work.

You don't want to be the alpha rooster. You want to not be a rooster.

I very much, completely, agree with this, it's a seriously perfect post in regards to this sort of thread.
goodpost.gif

Your rooster knows you're not a rooster, well, only very few are so confused that they don't realize we're not the same sort of animal. You don't need to be, and shouldn't be, part of their pecking order, otherwise you are always up for competition, always on somebody's hit list. Chicken hierarchies are always shifting and being rearranged, there is no such thing as a completely safe and perpetually respected 'permanent alpha status'. I really do not believe you need to become alpha to gain respect from your chooks, certainly it was never necessary with mine, still isn't.

Best wishes.

Quote:
My husband slammed the coop door shut on our rooster as he was flying at my husband's face. Wham!!! That was the end of that. The rooster RAN when he saw my husband after that.

Back
Top Bottom