Aggrevated... Welfare Garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SterlingAcres

Songster
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
Poconos, PA
Backstory is that my BIL and SIL refuse to get jobs, they live off the system. They get $550 a month for foodstamps and they complain it's not enough to feed 5 people for 2 weeks.
Today I asked what she was making for dinner, which they're having Beef Stew (last week was steak, meatloaf, alfredo, salmon, pork chops and crab salad) ... I said to her 'Wow, you guys eat good.' She said 'What do you mean?', I replied "Well, you complained the money doesn't last you 2 weeks, now I see why."

She says... "Well, I can't eat the crap you guys eat."

th.gif
Excuse me? Just because we eat pasta twice a week doesn't mean we're poor... At least we pay for our own food
roll.png
(and apparently our taxes pay for hers too)

Anyone else know an idiot living off the system? LOL They drive me nuts.

Last edited:
3 of us eat pretty well for $400 a month in groceries plus our backyard
animals. My wife would eat pasta every day because she likes it.

We all know someone like your BIL & SIL. I consider people like that sorry
scum. Problem is there are so many out there just like it that it makes
honest good people who fall under hard times refuse to take gov assistance.

It's all BS. Very few politicians stand up to it and when they do they are
called heartless and voted out of office.

While it doesn't appear to be the case in this instance, there are several individuals out there that would starve if it wasn't for the assistance our country offers the poor and under educated. I do know a woman who is collecting welfare, lives in housing under Section 8 and receives food stamps. However, she is also a full time student trying to get out from under her poverty, and still struggles. She is single mother with 4 children. And it was not her choice to be in this situation.

Remember this all when it comes time to vote for a 6 month welfare limit. We also knew foreign exchange students who would come over for graduate school... fully intending to return to their countries when they were finished here. Some of them were receiving food stamps and subsidized daycare for their kids via our taxpayer dollars. They were working the system and they knew it!

Deb, I'm not against welfare. I know there are people who really need it. People with jobs, people that try, people with goals. My BIL/SIL just aren't those people...

PC, I knew a lady growing up that used to collect WIC checks and sell the milk and food to other people... Unbelievable.

There are some "generational welfare" families that I have no respect for...but there are alot of single moms (and dads too actually) who need this assitance so that they can raise thier children themselves until the kids are in school and then they look into educations and jobs for themselves. I do believe that kind of welfare recipient deserves all the help and respect we can give them.
If there is a man in the picture however, he should be WORKING and supporting his wife and kids...not sitting a home on welfare.

My DBF and I have a dirty secret: he's on food stamps b/c he hasn't been able to find a job since last March. None of our friends or family know.

We're a 1-income household barely surviving. His food stamps feed both of us. We eat for about $165/month and sometimes we even have money left over at the end of the month. And we eat healthy/well. I don't buy processed foods except for breakfast cereal and the occassional tomato soup. I bake bread and make nearly everything from scratch. We stretch our food budget each month and we make it work. I canned about 130-140 jars of food last summer. I plan our meals out for a couple of weeks at a time and we shop carefully, rarely going down aisles except for the "staple" aisles: baking, pasta, beans, etc.

Recently we've eaten:
*Stir-fried bok choy with mushrooms
Homemade pizza on homemade dough
Lasagna
*Chicken in dark beer
*Salt-baked chicken
*Triple Red Pork Stew
*Baked Potato Soup
Homemade brownies
*Banana bran muffins
(* Cooking Light recipes)

Without the government help we'd be eating ramen. Thank goodness we have it.

We splurged last weekend and went out for breakfast. It was an utter disappointment and we kept turning to one another during the meal and saying, "we could make this so much better at home!"

Quote:
That right there is unacceptable and should be reported.
he.gif
THE NERVE!!!!!

I agree. While my inlaws aren't THAT bad, they've collected welfare for the past FIVE years that I've known of. BIL will work a month here or there threw the year, but nothing else. I have no idea how they pay any of their bills. They don't even try. They've been in their new apartment now for 3 months. They're already getting landlord letters about being late on rent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom