Ahh my polish :(

BonnieFierce

Chirping
Mar 21, 2018
View attachment 1397670 View attachment 1397653 View attachment 1397669 So I’m very afraid that my polish is getting pecked as everyone else has warned me. what’s weird is I’ve never seen the birds come close to doing it to her and she seems to be high in the pecking order... she will run right in front and under the other birds if I’m giving out treats and the others never seem aggressive towards her... the only other thing Is she sticks her head thru the fence a lot to reach grass but it looks all to similar to some of the brutal pics I’ve seen of other polish getting pecked. Thoughts?
And why would they do this if not aggressive? Our coop is WAY bigger than the suggested size for 6 chicks as well as their run... I’m thinking maybe boredom while in coop? I have slept in the past two days... help

That's pretty normal looking for when the feathers grow in on the head. She still has the sheath on the base of her feathers. As you can see it causes the feathers to part which can attract attention.

I currently see no pecking, but keep a daily eye on it until those sheaths are ready to come off. When they look dryer and more white you can help her out by trying to crack and scratch them off for her.

If you see blood than that would be pecking. If that happens use bluekote to coat the skin, put her down while it's wet so any curious pecking gets a yucky taste. Otherwise some will use a hair band to pull the topknot together to hide the top. Hopefully no one bothers her while those feathers finish growing, it's when they are most vulnerable.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom