air sac gone. Is that bad??

raacampbell

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 15, 2009
Long Island NY
Hi,

I have been incubating a swan egg that was found lying in the middle of the road. On the first few days there were blood vessels growing and everything was looking good. The air sac was getting larger. It was hard to see structure, though, since the shell is thick. Today, however, I've seen a sudden change. The air sac has gone: it looks like it's full of liquid with an air bubble located at the top of the egg (it's like a spirit level--stays at the top when I rotate the egg). Does this mean the embryo has failed?? :(

Thanks!

Nobody? If a chicken egg became like this would you keep it? I'm worried that if the egg goes bad it might explode in the incubator. I know that sounds dramatic, but this isn't an incubator I can take chances with.

I dont know about geese but Eggs.. I would sure hold it until some one wiser than I can answer .. Unless you smell a fowl odor I wouldnt worry about it exploding yet.

There has been an odor developing, yes. If a sudden liquification happens then it must mean something and I bet it means the same thing across these species. I'm just not sure what it does mean. Will a healthy egg start to look liquidy at some point during development?

Back
Top Bottom