air sac is way too small need advice please!!

thanks for all the advice. i think i'll get rid of the water for now. if the other eggs get too dry too fast, i'll correct for that later, i guess. i have another hygrometer, so i'll throw them both into the incubator and see how they read against each other. the ambient humidity for our area today is 76%. i think i read somewhere that you can put a dish of rice into the incubator to get the humidity to go lower if needed. i'll try misting and taking out the water for now and see what happens.
Rice doesn't work, Ive even tried baking soda, the only thing that kind of helped was OMG, I can't think of the name right now. GRRR, those little pocket of jelly like things. OMG, I can't beleive I'm drawing a blank.

SILICA packets. That's what I was trying to say. LOL...

Rice doesn't work, Ive even tried baking soda, the only thing that kind of helped was OMG, I can't think of the name right now. GRRR, those little pocket of jelly like things. OMG, I can't beleive I'm drawing a blank.

SILICA packets. That's what I was trying to say. LOL...
Ruby bought some stuff at the dollar store, (well, it's at our dollar store, I think that's where she bought it too,) that is to take moisture out of the air. It's a charcoal combo. It worked real well for her and didn't affect the chicks.

I've seen people have limited success with rice and unpopped popcorn, but it never seems to last. You can buy the silca on line too.

good idea with those silica packets, i'm sure i have some of those. i can get something call dri-z-air. people use it in their rv's around here in the winter to keep them from moulding.

since i took the water out of the trays, the humidity has been anywhere from 30-45% it's a bit drier today, so keeping my fingers crossed. ambient humidity is 55% I had a quick peek into one of the eggs and not much change from earlier this week. i'm a little wary of candling too much but want to keep an eye on things until i get this humidity issue cleared up.

good idea with those silica packets, i'm sure i have some of those. i can get something call dri-z-air. people use it in their rv's around here in the winter to keep them from moulding. 

since i took the water out of the trays, the humidity has been anywhere from 30-45% it's a bit drier today, so keeping my fingers crossed. ambient humidity is 55% I had a quick peek into one of the eggs and not much change from earlier this week. i'm a little wary of candling too much but want to keep an eye on things until i get this humidity issue cleared up.

Yes, like Amy said I bought the charcoal/carbon moisture control stuff at the dollar store. The problem I had was when I was incubating peafowl eggs in August. I had no water in my incubator and I was still at around 60%. I wasn't happy with the size of the air cells. So I took a small cup of it and put it in the incubator. It brought humidity down to 25%. I would change and refill the cup every other day for about 5 days and then I was happy with the air cell growth.

Candling won't hurt as long as they aren't out for long periods of time, it doesn't seem to hurt them at all.

Yes, like Amy said I bought the charcoal/carbon moisture control stuff at the dollar store. The problem I had was when I was incubating peafowl eggs in August. I had no water in my incubator and I was still at around 60%. I wasn't happy with the size of the air cells. So I took a small cup of it and put it in the incubator. It brought humidity down to 25%. I would change and refill the cup every other day for about 5 days and then I was happy with the air cell growth.
I will have to keep that in mind because I can remember when our air conditioner broke and the humidity WAS crazy, I tried EVERYTHING at least I thought and nothing would work.

Finally got some pictures.
This is day 22. Set on april 6, due to go into the hatcher on Sunday with expected hatch date of May 4. What's the lowest humidity that you would do in the hatcher?

These are more runner duck eggs, i set 13 on April 19, so this is at day 9. Not sure why i took a picture of the one egg that was undeveloped. there are 12 that look normal, with veins and all that. i'm a lot happier with the size of the air sac in these ones. humidity has been around 25-30 with dry air. it was hard to keep the temp steady at first. this one looks like it might still take, there were a few tiny little veins, so i'll let it stay for now.

These are my chicken eggs (malines). Set 14 on april 19, so this is day 9. i think the air sac is okay? can anyone verify.

Back
Top Bottom